The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sergeant or Serjeant

Guest KevinEndon

I've just looked at my granddad's MIC which has him as Pte on re-enlistment and later Sjt. He was in the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

I always write rifleman and sergeant when describing him. I've a mind now to switch to serjeant if that reflects the way his contemporaries knew him.

Rich

Sergeant rather than Serjeant and if it is good enough for the Rifles it is good enough for me

Anthony,

Just to clarify, the modern-day regiment, The Rifles, uses the spelling serjeant.

This is from The Rifles website:

"The Rifles march at 140 paces per minute, much faster than that of the rest of the Infantry who march at 120. A private soldier in The Rifles is known as a Rifleman and sergeant is spelt serjeant."

If I understand correctly, The Rangers were originally affiliated as the 8th Volunteer Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps, then became 12th Btn (The Rangers) London Regiment with Haldane in 1908. The Rangers were re-affiliated to the KRRC between the wars, becoming 9th & 10th Btn, KRRC in WW2. They then became 4th (Volunteer) Btn Royal Green Jackets. Further tortuous re-alignments followed before they finally ended up within F & G coys, 7th Btn, The Rifles.

I'd say use of the appellation Rifleman for privates in The Rangers would be entirely appropriate, even though technically they belonged to the London Regiment during the Great War.

:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mark

Anthony,

Just to clarify, the modern-day regiment, The Rifles, uses the spelling serjeant.

This is from The Rifles website:

"The Rifles march at 140 paces per minute, much faster than that of the rest of the Infantry who march at 120. A private soldier in The Rifles is known as a Rifleman and sergeant is spelt serjeant."

If I understand correctly, The Rangers were originally affiliated as the 8th Volunteer Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps, then became 12th Btn (The Rangers) London Regiment with Haldane in 1908. The Rangers were re-affiliated to the KRRC between the wars, becoming 9th & 10th Btn, KRRC in WW2. They then became 4th (Volunteer) Btn Royal Green Jackets. Further tortuous re-alignments followed before they finally ended up within F & G coys, 7th Btn, The Rifles.

I'd say use of the appellation Rifleman for privates in The Rangers would be entirely appropriate, even though technically they belonged to the London Regiment during the Great War.

:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

Thanks on reflection I think Rifleman and Serjeant with a note on ranks etc on the main page (indecisive me? surely not).

be aware that 'Rifleman' and 'Guardsman' only became official after the war ended, although 'Rifleman' had a long and honourable existence, it was never recognised by Q or KR and Pay Warrants.

18th County of London battalion, London Regiment, London Irish Rifles, referred to their private soldiers as "Rifleman" prior to, during and after WW1 until in 1968, with the formation of the Royal Irish Rangers, they became "Ranger" and are still called this today to mark their connection with that short lived regiment.

be aware that 'Rifleman' and 'Guardsman' only became official after the war ended, although 'Rifleman' had a long and honourable existence, it was never recognised by Q or KR and Pay Warrants.

Grumpy's quite right to make this point. This is not the only example of regimental tradition contradicting "official" Army-ese: see the recent topic on Welsh and Welch for example! :D

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 month later...

I know this is probably a dumb question to you old Sweats (I am only a beginner) but why is my Great Uncles rank spelt SERJEANT and not SERGEANT?

I am sure that if you use the search button at the top you will find extensive discussion on this old favourite, but come back for more if you are not illuminated!.

D

I found this a while ago (can't remember where) but I've used it on my site and have no comments on it (yet).

"CWGC (Commonwealth War Graves Commission) are under instruction from the British MoD and the New Zealand military authorities to spell 'Serjeant' with a 'J' for army casualties from WW1 and WW2 plus RFC/RAF for WW1. According to the information supplied to the CWGC by the MoD, the British Army still officially spelt it with a 'J' until November 1953 - regardless of how it was spelt in real life.

All Australian, Canadian and South African troops are spelt as 'Sergeant'."

I told you I was a begginner! Thanks for sorting it out for me.

• 7 months later...

Good morning all,

Just a quick question ;

Is there any reason for the two types of spelling for sargeant (sarjeant) often seen on WW1 headstones?

Does this denote a difference between the ranks or is it just a spelling thing?

Thanks,

Sean.

There are no differences in the rank, it is just a spelling thing.

Down to interpretation at the time.

Sergeant is the modern way of it being spelled, but I have seen maybe three or four ways of spelling it on various documents.

The abbreviations differ too.

Dick

Hi,

The most common spelling is "Sergeant". Rifle regiments used to spell it with a "J", but it's the same basic rank.

Simon

Do a search. This thread is in danger of replicating an earlier one on the same subject. This contained some interesting information as to where and when the variations occur.

Read the GWF suggestions and listen to Centurion. Antony

I query the spelling with an 'a'. You would be more likely to get results by using 'sergeant' and 'serjeant' as the search terms.

However, to save you some time, see this thread and follow the links in post 4.

Gwyn

According to a talk I heard by John Titford recently about English dialects, the use of Ser- rather than the phonetic Sar- in sergeant is a remnant of a vowel shift - likewise the town-name Derby. He claimed that, until relatively recently, 'er' within a word was pronounced 'ahhh'. Herbert would have been sounded as Harbart and servant as sarvant.

Keith

In Middle English, the word was variously sergeaunt and seriaunt. In Old French, the word was sergent (as now) or serjent, which is how the soft j came into use in the English pronunciation.

Gwyn

May have come over with the Conquerer. I know Gen. Wormald's batman listed himself as a "Sjt".

Good morning all,

Just a quick question ;

Is there any reason for the two types of spelling for sargeant (sarjeant) often seen on WW1 headstones?

Does this denote a difference between the ranks or is it just a spelling thing?

Thanks,

Sean.

He claimed that, until relatively recently, 'er' within a word was pronounced 'ahhh'. Herbert would have been sounded as Harbart and servant as sarvant.

Keith

That sounds like the accents around Boston, Massachusetts, or the Chesapeake Bay which are said to be closer to old English than today's English. A.

Honestly I would not become excited about the spelling.

For example.

The CWGC record my Uncle as a Sjt and this is embossed on his medals,whereas the Battalion War Diary and his Obituary address and praise him as Sgt. ;)

George

• 1 year later...
Guest KevinEndon

CWGC has all serjeants written with the J instead of a G until I spotted this

Name: HEALY

Initials: M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 02/03/1917

Service No: 5130

Awards: A M, D C M, M M and Bar

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Annie Healy, of Ballinamuck, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford. A War Office letter (68/Albert/109/A.G.10) records the following:-"On 1st March, 1917, this non-commissioned officer, with a total disregard for his own personal safety and solely prompted by the desire to save his comrades, rushed to pick up a live bomb which had been thrown by a Private and which struck the parapet and rolled back into the trench near Lieutenant Roe and the Private. Sergeant Healy, fearing the party could not escape in time, made a most gallant attempt to seize and hurl the bomb from the trench. It exploded, however, and mortally wounded him. This was the last of Sergeant Healy's many acts of gallantry and devotion to duty. He was previously awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal and the Military Medal and later a bar to his Military Medal.".

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. B. 53.

Cemetery: BRAY MILITARY CEMETERY

On this one he is down as SerJeant Healy but the blogg has SerGeant, surely the commission should have 1 or the other and as headstones use the J should they not change the spelling in the blogg.

Kevin

I understand the convention is SerJeant for WW1 and SerGeant for WW2.

Obviously they missed the TWO in the Additional Information, presumably that was sent in to them by the family using the WW2 spelling.

It does seem likely that it would have been the LAST of his many acts of bravery, too!!!