The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Death of Major Valentine Fleming, QOOH

pmaasz

A long shot, but with the GWF experts one never knows!

Major Valentine Fleming, DSO, MP, Queen’s Own Oxfordshire Hussars was killed by a shell at Gillemont Farm, now close to the American Somme Cemetery at Bony, on 20 May 1917. (Fleming was Ian Fleming’s father.) Also killed at the same time were 2nd. Lieut. Silvertop and four other men. I have been trying to identify as closely as possible the spot where they died. My reading of the Regimental history and other records suggests it happened close to the curved trench, shown on the map extract below, that lies immediately below the word TRENCH, and the RH arms of which penetrate the diamond-shaped line of trees that surround Gillemont Farm. The trench I mean is roughly centred on 13.a.3.3. If anyone has any additional info that confirms or modifies where Fleming and the others were killed I would very much like to know of it.

post-1260-0-78162900-1301748864.jpg

Many thanks Simon. The painting is new to me and I hope new also to my friends in SOFO.

The painting had been brought to SOFO's attention in recent times; the original is still in the possession of the family I understand. The attached cigarette card (others presently for sale on an Internet Auction site) has an image of a QOOH Officer on the Monts des Cats; he does look like Val Fleming, and indeed Major Fleming was in this location in October 1914.

Mike

post-10-0-66378100-1301909898.jpg

I was over at the farm last week & have photographed all the area to the rear - if they are likely to be of any use, please let me know.

I also called in at Fleming & Silvertop's graves while there.

Regards

Brian

Brian: yes we would much appreciate seeing the photos. I will PM you with my email address. Thank you. Do you have a special interest in Gillemont and/or Fleming and co?

Peter

I'm just coming to the end of the MA in First World Studies and I'm looking at the Oxfordshire Hussars for my dissertation. Not entirely sure of the research question - it might either be their effectiveness or possibly a look at the social make-up of the regiment. I haven't had the chance to do more than look at Keith-Falconer as I still have one more essay to submit.

I have been in to see Bob, Harry & Mike at Woodstock but will be spending more time there from May onwards.

I only got back from France last Thursday so need to edit the photos down a bit - but that should be done this week.

It will be interesting to see if anyone can help with your question - I had more or less located Fleming in the same area you had - but I'm not sure if it will be possible to be more precise.

Regards

Brian

Brian

Your post is truly interesting and I shall be fascinated to know which aspect of the regiment's distinguished history you choose to focus on. Living where I do I don't spend time at Woodstock with my pals, but I have info about specific aspects of WW1 that have caught my attention and are relevant to QOOH. If I can assist in any way please let me know. As regards effectiveness, they were at least as good as any cavalry regiments which of course never were able to pursue the envisaged 'through the gap' tactics that were a left-over from the Boer War, but as highly mobile dismounted troops they were excellent. The social aspects of the regiment's composition are also interesting, ranging as they did from the aristocracy, through professionals to ordinary farming and working class folk. Whether that composition was markedly different from other yeomanry regiments and whether that had any influence on command or fighting effectiveness I don't know. I wish you much success in your endeavours!

Derek. Thank you for your post and the lead to the Glenelg info. Just a small point of detail: Fleming was killed during an artillery bombardment, i.e. shelling, which was often referred to for reasons I don't completely understand as 'bombing'. Perhaps it is because what we WW2 and later people understand as bombing is quite different from WW1.

Bombing in WWI terms Normally refers to a grenade attack.

You would think so, I agree, but I have seen references many times where there is no possible meaning other than a shell bombardment.

It has now occurred to me that the term "bombproof" originally related to mortars, that might make a certain amount of sense in these contexts.