The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Scots Guards 2nd Bn

Guest Rdimke

Guest Rdimke

My grandfather was killed on Oct 15, 1915 and buried in a cemetery in Loos. I'm sure there must be a Battle of Loos in France and want to find out more about it. I read accounts of battles there in august and sept but not in October. Can anyone point me in the right direction for reaching the battle where he died. My grandmother left london to come to the US immediately after his death and I'm now starting my research. Thanks all who can guide me. Russ

The Battle of Loos was over by the time your grandfather was killed. However, the Scots Guards were responsible for 'improving the devastated trenches about the Hohenzollern Redoubt' (The Scots Guards in the Great War 1914-1918) until the 26th October. This area saw much fighting in the Battle of Loos and remained hotly contested for sometime afterwards.

Robert

I am guessing that your grandfather is James Carstairs. I'm afraid that he isn't buried in a cemetery in Loos - he is commemorated on the Loos Memorial to the Missing, which means that he has no known grave. The memorial commemorates all those who died in the area and who have no known graves, from the first day of the battle of Loos right through to the end of the war.

Incidentally, if James Carstairs is your grandfather, then although he was "killed in action" he may not have been killed in a large battle, as he is the only member of his battalion to be killed on 15.10.15.

Tom

Check out 'Loos - Hohenzollern' for more information about the area and some of the fighting, though no reference to the Scots Guards. Andrew Rawson is the author; the ISBN is 0 85052 903 4.

The history of the Scots Guards is published by Naval and Military Press.

Robert

Perhaps I should qualify my last post in the interests of accuracy - I said that James Carstairs wasn't buried in a cemetery at Loos. As he is "Missing" then no-one knows where his body is, so there is a possibility that he is buried as an "unknown" in a British Cemetery in the area.

Russ - I should also have said, "Welcome to the Forum."

Tom

There is a very extensive section on the Battle of Loos on the Long, Long Trail website. Click the link on this page.