The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte James Walker 7 Canadian Inf Bn KiA 22/3/17

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

Thanks to Ian Bowbrick, I have been able to add a Canadian Silver Memorial Cross to my collection, in my quest to build up the definitive story on the memorial plaques and scrolls.

I would dearly like to find out more about this soldier. This is what I know:

Name: WALKER, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment: Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regt.)

Unit Text: 7th Bn .

Date of Death: 22/03/1917

Service No: 428055

Additional information: Son of John and Jane Walker, of Main St., Cumbernauld, Dumbartonshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. K. 18.

Cemetery: ECOIVRES MILITARY CEMETERY, MONT-ST. ELOI

I know from his attestation paper (online at the Canadian archives) that he was a Surveyor. But that's it.

I understand he may have been attached to another unit when he was killed. Can anyone confirm this, or tell me how to find out more.

From what I can gather, 7 Bn took a lot of casualties in April onwards. It was mainly formed of British Columbian men, or so I have read....??

Also, if anyone knows where I can find a box for this memorial cross, I'd be very happy to hear from you.

Many thanks

Pete

Hi Pete:

428005 Private James Walker, original unit 47th Infantry Battalion, KIA March 22, 1917 as a member of the 7th Infantry Battalion, age 26.

Keep an eye open on eBay Canada. They often have Mothers Cross boxes for auction.

Garth

Hi Pete:

Just checked the 7th Battalion and 2nd Brigade's war diaries and they shed no information on Private Walker. The Brigade diary states the was one 7th Bn. man wounded on March 22 and no fatalities. Attached is the 7th Battalion's's diary on the top and 2nd Brigade diary on the bottom of the image.

Private Walker originally enlisted with the 47th Battalion from British Columbia so, it's consistent with CEF policy that he was transfered to the 7th Battalion, another B. C. unit.

You should order Private Walker's service records from the National Archives of Canada. It's a great £12 investment. You'll need to provide the NAC with the following information:

Name: Walker, James

Regimental number: 428055

Reference: RG 150, Box 10013-47

Check the NAC link for ordering records here. Good luck with your quest.

Garth

post-1-1088808170.jpg

Hi Pete,

Congratulations on your memorial cross. Here in Canada they seem to have really jumped in price, just as memorial plaques have gone through the roof.

A friend mentioned to me the other day that during the 80's silver boom, a coin dealer kept any crosses he purchased in a round tobacco tin, and probably had fifty or sixty. He offered them to my friend at $25 each. Money being somewhat tight my pal could only afford a couple so he picked out two to officers. Ah, for the good old days!