The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

joseph william knowles

Guest trog

My great uncle Joseph W Knowles was killed in 1918 at etaples, I have been given a photo that I am assured is him, the problem is Joe was in the Royal Army Medical Corp, yet the photo is of a soldier wearing what looks to me to be a kings own liverpool badge, could the photo still be him or have we got it wrong

post-1-1088807143.jpg

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission notes his Ambulance unit as 1st/2nd (E. Lancs) Field Ambulance. They were with The 42nd (East Lancashire) Division. 'Soldiers Died' records cause of death as 'Died of Wounds'. I can't find him on the Online MIC's.

I would suspect that the photo was taken before he transferred to the RAMC.

Hope this helps a teeny bit.

thanks for the help andrew, what is the online MIC's?

These are the Medal Index Cards{ie The Initial Card Index Record of What Campaign Medals each Soldier was awarded} @ the National Archive{Public Records Office}Eventually they will all be available "On Line" as yet those starting with the Letter K ~ Z;are unavailable{Only a Varying Proportion of those A~J are currently available "On~Line"~they are all accessible in Person @ the NA however}

PS:: :D Memo to Selves!!: We must not assume everyone always knows what we are talking about!!

...but at the top of the thread it does say BE SURE TO READ THIS: if you are about to ask questions about how to find a soldier's service record, make sure you have first visited "Grandad's War" at The Long, Long Trail website. There's a link to it at top-left of this page. Be sure to read at least "The Basics", "Service Papers" and "Grandad's Medals". ;)

Anyway back to business. Hello trog and welcome to the forum. Andrew is quite probably right. The photo is clearly not RAMC. Men were very often transferred or posted between units, and it is possible that he had served with the Liverpools before going to RAMC. Etaples as you may know is on the coast and was a major base for hospitals. Do have a read of "grandad's war"; it will give you lots of clues about how to go about researching him.

HB:- Would his buttons indicate one of the 6th (Rifle) Bns of the Kings? Phil B

They do look Blackened!!

I agree with the Rifles suggestion and....apologies....I had assumed too much. Memo received and understood!

Oh, forgot to add, if you look up a member by the name 'Promenade' and send a Personal Message you may strike lucky. Said Gentleman is a font of knowledge on the King's.

I agree with the Rifles suggestion and....apologies....I had assumed too much. Memo received and understood!

We are all guilty @ times!!!

:rolleyes:

His buttons might be 6th Bn, but his cap badge isn't. The 6th Bn were a 'rifle' battalion and had a different badge.

Ken

'Soldiers Died in the Great War' doesn't give any previous units served in by Joseph William Knowles.

Ken

thanks everyone for your help, I think the consensus is this cannot be Joseph, he was brought up as my grandads brother, grandad always took his children to the clayton war memorial in memory of joseph and the photo was with grandads things.

so it will have to remain a mystery, what a shame, Ive got quite a few family soldiers I cannot identify.

many thanks to you all, youve been great