The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

25th Irish Reserve Infantry Brigade

Guest woodyudet

Guest woodyudet

I have been looking for info regarding 25th Irish Reserve Infantry Brigade but have had little joy. I know that it was based at the Curragh and took part in supressing the easter rising of 1916.

I haven't been able to find an order of battle for it, or locate its war diary [if it had one] in the PRO.

I've had similar difficulties locating the whereabouts of war diaries for the following units also:

3rd Royal Irish Regiment

3rd Royal Irish Rifles

5th Royal Dublin Fusiliers

5th Leinsters

4th Royal Dublin Fusiliers!

10th Royal Dublin Fusiliers

these all played a part in the rising, but their war diaries don't seem to appear when searched via PRO website.

If anyone could help me, I would be extremely grateful!

cheers,

woody

Woody, all the battalions listed except 10th RDF were reserve/depot battalions and are unlikely to have recorded a war diary at all.

10th Dubs war diary is in WO 95/3118 (but only August 1916 to June 1917) and WO 95/1974 thereafter.

Guest woodyudet

Chris,

many thanks for this - you've confirmed my fears about lack of war diaries for these units. I've been able to locate the diaries for most of the units sent from England to quell the rising, but very few of the Irish ones. This is unfortunate given the fact that most of the fighting in the first two days was undertaken by the Irish reserve units ...

regards,

Alex

I can give you details on 2 individuals and one pic it's any help? Merely states they took part in putting down the rising. Little else.

Pte. William Cairns, Royal Irish Rifles of Castle Street, Ballymena, is home from hospital on a visit, being at present

treated for wounds received in action.

He took part in the supression of the Dublin rebellion and prior to enlisting was a prominent player for Summerfield

FC.

Ballymena Observer, February 15, 1918

And this is Prvt. Devlin, from memory he comes from James Street, Ballymena, and if you are interested he is from the same Devlin family who have the ORIGINAL and BEST recipe for the sweet candy known as 'Yella Man' sold at the 'Oul Lammas Fair' in Ballycastle. He wqas definitely in one of the Irish Reserve btns. involved in putting down the rising.

Try and pin his details down in work. !

post-2-1088976794.jpg