The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

193 S.B.A.C

GWRCo

:blink:

Hi all,

Can any member of the forum help out please in regard to what the actual unit name is for the above!

Reason i ask, is that a friend recently went to a militaria fair and purchased a silver hallmarked cigarette case, and whats unusual about it is that it is for a 10's size packet to slide into - it came with a woodbines 10's pack in it!

Further, the engraving shows that it was gifted to a private from a captain, both of whom served together in 193 S.B.A.C, until the armistice on 11 nov 18. We can only assume that the private must have been a Batman, runner, or someone who had performed an act of bravery as part of the inscription reads 'to my dear friend'.

Unfortunately, i do not have a picture of the cigarette case, but will try to get my friend to take some photies of it. My friend would like to know what unit the initials stand for.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

Tim W

Pure guess, but as 193 was a Scottish brigade (64 div, 2nd line territorial) - Scottish Brigade Ammunition Column? Phil B :rolleyes:

Ps They don`t seem to have served abroad.

193rd Siege Battery Ammunition Column, which I am presuming was part of the Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA).