The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Dawes Durham Light Infantry

marina

Small mystery - I've tracked down (with the help of the Pals!) some information about Private Percival Charles Dawes (64306). He finished up in the Machine Gun Corps, but originally enlisted in the Durham Light Infantry where he had another service number - 37502

The medal roll is very scant - Victory Medal MGC/101 B44 and his MGC service number.

It does not give his date of enlistment or any details of previous service in the DLI.

Where can I find out that information? And why would it be omitted from his record?

Thanks to anyone who can explain anyhting here!

Marina

The medal documents only cover service during the period of qualification for the medal. This began when the man disembarked overseas, so all service prior to that is omitted.

If his service papers have survived (in WO363, WO364 or PIN26 categories at the National Archives) they will cover his earlier service too.

Hi Marina

Since your earlier post regarding Pte Dawes, I have had a quick look on the on-line Medal Index Cards and here the plot thickens as they show that there was a Private 37502 Thomas Conner in the Durham Light Infantry. Perhaps the SDGW details giving that number to Pte Dawes was an error unless a DLI expert knows any different. As Chris has stated the only way to be totally sure would be to check to see if his Service Record has survived or you may get a few more details on his War & Victory Roll which is on WO 329 / 1746 at the NA/PRO Kew.

Steve