The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cpt. Royce Coleman Dyer, DCM,MM+bar.

chris.wight

I've been researching the names of former students of Stanstead College, Stanstead, Quebec who were killed in the war. This is a private boys/girls boarding school and the town is right on - literally - the Quebec/Vermont border.

Luckily there was some information posted about him on another thread here, Penal Battalion, Slavo-British.

Still, I have several questions about him I'm hoping someone can help with.

His service number was 445, attestation papers. From Ted Wigney's book on serial numbers of the CEF, there are several choices of units, the most likely to me being Borden's Armoured MG Battery. Then somehow he ended up with the 8th Battalion from Manitoba which is a mystery to me since he lived in Quebec. Does anyone have an idea?

I did come across his Military Medal anouncement in the 19th December, 1916 (Issue 29873) London Gazette, but I can't find any mention of a bar being awarded.

His DCM appeared in the 14th January 1919 (Issue 31128) link :

445 A./Sjt. E. C. Dyer, MM., 8th Bn., Can. Infy. (N. RUSSIA).

For conspicuous gallantry and resource during the landing at Onega and clearing of the town. He set a verv fine example to his men throughout the action, and, from a very exposed position, successfully engaged an enemy machine-gun at close range with his Lewis gun. He showed marked courage in taking up new positions with his gun under heavy machine-gun and cross rifle fire, and by his skilful use of it rendered very valuable service.

What date would this action have taken place?

Finally, I cannot come across any mention of him being made a Captain.

The August 8th, 1919 (Issue 31500) Gazette announced his temporary promotion :

Manitoba Regt.

No. 445 Actg. Sergt. R. C. Dyer, D.C.M., M.M., to be temp. Lt. 16 Oct. 1918.

Then Issue 31599, 14th October, 1919 edition said :

Manitoba Regt.

The Gaz. notification 11 Aug. 1919, page 10212, concerning temp. Lt. R. C. Dyer,

D.C.M., M.M., is cancelled.

Was this an oversight by the London Gazette?

Since he was an officer as of October 16, 1918, how would he have been eligible for a bar to the MM?

Chris

According to my information the 8th Battalion was issued with 1-1800 as their number block. I have a trio to 495 R.G. Smith a original so chances are he also is a original to the unit although I do not have a 8th Battalion shipping list to confirm.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Thanks N.S.Regt. I was so focussed on him mobilizing with a Montreal unit that I missed that.

Note to self - remember to zoom out - :lol:

Chris

No problem hope you find him.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.