The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Info on my grandfather

Guest billclarke1

Guest billclarke1

Ladies and Gents, I am trying to source information on my grandfathers war service.

I am living in Australia and my grandfather served in the Hampshire Regiment, according to his medals, his number was 42728, Pte E.H. Clarke This is all I know of him (he died 33 years ago) other than the above I also know he was gassed (which later caused emphasyma) and had a metal plate put in his head !

I am a member of the Royal Australian Air Force (19 years now) and am looking to having his medals framed with his service record and a photo, I intend doing the same with my Great grandfathers Boer war records (hopefully) and my dads WW2 records, I believe these will be a fine record to hand down to the following generations of my family.

If anyone can help me with advice or any other form of assistance I would be most gratefull.

Thankyou.

Bill Clarke.

Welcome Bill, Good Luck! The members here are very helpful and very knowledgeable. cheers Shelley :rolleyes:

Hi Bill

A quick look at the on-line Medal Index Cards shows that 42728 Private Edward H Clarke of the Hampshire Regiment also served as 44893 Private with the Royal Berkshire Regiment.

Steve

Welcome Bill

Here's a quick tip that will increase your likelihood of getting a response. Due to the large amount of posts on the forum, many members gloss over the titles such as yours. There are Hampshire and Berkshire Regiment enthusiasts on the forum but they probably won't see your post.

Try putting up another post which mentions Hampshire Regt and Berkshire Regt in the title somewhere. You could also try sending a private message to Marc Thompson (Hampshires) and John Chapman (Berkshires) if they don't respond.

Good luck with the research.

Mick

Bill, When you get around to it, I might be of help regarding information on the Boer War.

Montague Chapin

Guest billclarke1

A big thankyou to all for the help thus far, Steve did you get my e-mail on the on line medal check ?, Montague, I will send you an e-mail with the my Great Grandfathers details shortly, and thanks very much again to all of you for the assistance and welcomes.

Bill.

Steve did you get my e-mail on the on line medal check ?

Bill.

Hi Bill

No !! Try sending me a pm ( there is a button for this at the bottom of this message).

Steve