The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Railwayman Holland

Guest BAK

Hi All, I am after some information. If anybody has any further information on Brigadier General Gerald Edward Holland could they please pass it on? I have listed what I know about him below if anyone has anything to add it will be gratefully received.

Buried at Holyhead {St Mary's} Roman Catholic Cemetery

Employed by the London & North Western Railway Company as a Marine Dock Superintendent at Holyhead. Served in the Royal Engineers, mentioned in dispatches three times and received the following. C.B. C.M.G. D.S.O, C.J.F. Croix de Guerre Officer de L'ordre de Leopold {Belgian} Officer of the Order of St. Maurice and St. Lazarus {Italy}

I have not visited the archives and looked this guy up yet, that’s to come. I was just wondering if anyone has any info at hand.

As I have stated all info gratefully received.

Barry Kitchener.

Barry

Holland pioneered the use of canal and river transport in France and Flanders. Born 1860, he entered the Royal Indian Marine in 1880 and served with the Burma Expeditionary Force 1887-9 and the Chin-Lushai expedition, and was awarded the DSO for his services in the latter. He was with the Naval Transport Staff Durban 1900-1 and was three times mentioned in despatches as well as being made a Companion of the Order of the Indian Empire (CIE). He was then prinicipal port officer at Rangoon before retiring in 1905 and joining the L & NW Railway.

It was he who proposed to the War Office that Inland Water Transport (IWT) should be used in France and Flanders. He was appointed Lt Col RE in Dec 1914 and went to France as Assistant Director IWT, becoming Director in 1915 and promoted Brig Gen in 1916. He died while on sick leave at St Leonards on Sea from illness contracted in France.

Charles M

Many thanks; this information is great fully received. Any ideas of what illness he died, sorry to trouble you further.