The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Professor Richard Holmes

andiS

Very sad news indeed.

His enthusiasm was highly infectious and spread to so many.

He will be greatly missed

Andy

Professor Holmes took the first battlefield tour I ever attended. It was run by HQ London District. It was an extraordinary, exhilarating, experience. His phenomenal memory enabled him to quote verbatim from his sources. I will never forget his description of the experience of gunners at Le Cateau.It motivated me to take up guiding myself.

He was young; he can only have been in his mid sixties. Does anybody know the reason for his death? He will certainly be missed. God speed his soul and condolences to his family.

Greg

Did a spell binding talk to Heart of England WFA last year. Great loss - top man

This is very sad news. He was the patron of The Craven's Part in the Great War website, a role he readily accepted lending his name to without any fuss.

A great communicator both as a authour and presenter of his War Walks series of programmes (something I wish the BBC would repeat)All in all he came across as a truly decent man.

Chris

This is dreadful news.

I have his books including Army Battlefield Guide - Belgium and Northern France from which War Walks was taken. It is so detailed. We won't see his likes again, so sad.

Aye

Malcolm

Very sad. Extremely knowledgable and a great communicator; he really brought history to life in his TV programmes.

My condolences to his family.

Very sad news indeed, my condolences to his wife and family.

My memories of him leading us on the Retreat from Mons tour just 18 months age are wonderful, his knowledge and his company were second to none, a true officer, gentleman and scholar.

You will be sorely missed, Richard.

Peter

A charming man whom I met on a couple of occasions and seemed as affable in real life as on screen. I particularly recall his amused exasperation when I asked him about the fact that he was frequently confused with the 'other' Professor Richard Holmes, the literary biographer. Apparently some people steadfastly refused to believe they were two different people, while the 'Sunday Times' once illustrated a story about a colourful incident in the 'literary' Holmes's private life with a full-length picture of a smirking, moustachioed figure in jodhpurs and riding boots.

Sad and shocking news. I had the pleasure of moving the vote of thanks (inadequately) at a talk he gave at Swansea University a few years back. A great communicator and a sad loss.

Bernard

Richard was to have been our guide for a tour we have just returned from but ill health prevented him joining us, he will be sadly missed.

A truly inspirational man.

Malcolm & Wendy

Bumped into him a few times over the last few years at Kew, what a really approachable man he was, a true gent. His War Walks series is one that will forever live in my memories, such enthusiasm for his subject and such a vast wealth of knowledge.

Rest in Peace Richard

Steve

A very nice man met him once in Somme. Rest In Peace Richard.

Dan

This is a tragic shock, especially when I last saw him two months ago he seemed to be well on the road to recovery, albeit still a little frail. Richard's contribution to Military History was enormous, both through what he wrote and, more especially, his TV programmes and talks. His enthusiasm was infectious and, I am sure, encouraged many people to take an interest in the field. He will be a very hard act to follow, particularly in his presidencies of the British Commission for Military History and Guild for Battlefield Guides. Richard will be much missed.

Charles M

Very sorry to hear this news. I had had some dealings with him years ago when I contacted him for some help and he was good enough to respond in great detail. I also heard him speak at Surrey History Centre about 18 months ago and he was superb - entertaining and engaging. I can remember watching his 'War Walks' series a number of times and always very much enjoyed it. He will be sorely missed by all with an interest in military history.

I can only echo what has already been written. I have several of his books and have enjoyed reading them immensely. His voice was quite distinctive and I could often hear him speak as I read. To be knowledgeable is one thing but to be able to communicate that knowledge to others with skill and enthusiasm is quite another and he could do it so very well. He was clear, concise and informative but never patronising. He has gone much to early and will be widely missed.

But he will now be able to debate with the people who he has studied. Heaven is in for an entertaining time!

Keith

Just heard the news.

Far too young to go.

RIP :poppy:

Grant

A very sad loss, quite a shock. Condolences to all family and friends.

Jim

A tremendous historian and incredibly enthusiastic, I have a number of books including the excellent Redcoats. Will always have the image of him indicating the line of advance with his stick and striding of over the fields with great gusto.

A sad loss.

Some years ago I was fortunate to take a trip led by Professor Holmes to the Western Front. He was a superb battlefield guide. He also struck me as being a very nice man. He gave up his lunch break one day to take me to visit my great-uncle's grave, a kindness I will never forget.

My condolences to his family. I am sure he will be greatly missed.

Mike S

I must express my sadness at this news. He indeed was inspiring and taught with a passion that is second to none. He talked of men in battle, not only battles, losses, places, equipment and tactics. As stated he was able to get even those with no interest... interested. A true skill. I always marveled at his wealth of knowledge spanning a millennium of warfare and history. I never met him, but I can tell from the experiences shared here I wish I had. And one final note. As Keith posted, he never patronized, yet he was so accessible to all. He had a sense for drama, motivation and captivation in his narratives that allow him to be respected as both expert AND popular historian. A rare feat.

Godspeed to both Mr. Holmes and his family. So shocking for his age.

:poppy:

tragic news,and sorry to hear

loved,as mentioned above,the books of `tommy` and `riding the retreat`...ive re read them many times and will continue to do so...

he put the great war into perspective and the news here puts everything into perspective

rest in peace richard