The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Professor Richard Holmes

andiS

This may be a non-starter but here goes anyway. Is there the possibility of the Mods sending an official condolence/sympathy card or message on behalf of the GWF to Professor Holmes family expressing our sadness at his passing and our collective assurance that his memory will live on through the excellent work that he has produced over the years on the Great War which has brought this subject to many who otherwise would not develop an interest in a subject to which this forum is devoted.

Regards

Norman

Norman

Great idea.

He made History come alive to me without using CGI or any fancy nonsense.

Regards

Maxi

I was privileged to hear a talk by him entitled “In the footsteps of Churchill”: he spoke for exactly one hour without notes, taking occasional sips from a glass of red wine. Afterwards at a book signing, he had a knack of giving his undivided attention and time to everybody, who approached him, yet quickly working his way through a queue of people. Later I noticed a photograph in his book “Tommy” of a trench burial and the name of the officiating padre was known to my parents in the 1930s,so I checked with the church archivist and exchanged e:mails with Richard Holmes ,who personally responded in a most friendly way.

A true gentleman, who will be greatly missed and I am sure that he still had much more to contribute.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8486036/Military-historian-Richard-Holmes-dies.html

I have never known anyone who could chair a meeting as well as he, with a firm but courteous and often humorous hand. We all thought he had beaten his illness, so this is a crushing blow. The loss to military history in the UK is immeasurable.

Richard was a man with passion for his subject.

His documentaries were delivered with confidence and that will be always be my enduring memory of him.

Condolences to Richard's family.

RIP

David

He was truly an inspiration in the field of bringing history to life and making sense to viewers and readers of those complex turbulent times.

I will miss him, but thankfully we have available his DVD's and books to keep the faith with. It's so surreal, I finished a book of his just last week.

He was truely an inspiring man, his approach to history must have delighted many and encouraged them to learn more. Glad I have saved many of his programmes to DVD to watch over again.

A great loss, sadly missed.

Richard

A great loss . A delightful man who had time to talk to people after his lectures . We will all miss him

Maurice

I was rather saddened by Richard's obituary in The Times today - you'll have to buy a copy unless you subscribe pas the paywall. Rather an element of 'having cake and eating it' from the obituarist, viz:

"No matter the popularity of his TV presentations, his books on the tribulations of the individual, the private soldier and junior officer in particular, will be the true memorial to his scholarship and empathy for the trials of his subjects. Redcoat...Tommy and Sahib... all reflect prodigious research, yet they can be opened at any point to absorb the reader in the detail of the action, so freshly and poignantly is it described."

That's all fine and true... yet later:

"....he claimed "I always rather dislike being called a television historian, preferring to see myself as an historian who likes talking about his subject." There is the ring of truth there, but despite their exhaustive research and reader appeal it is questionable whether his books would have achieved the success they did without his name being so widely recognised from the television screen."

I don't know about you, but that strikes me as rather mean. Quality will out. We can argue like angels on the head of a pin, or even in a 'chicken and egg' whether TV success brought the books later, but I will always contend that these books would have found the audience they did even without TV.

>><<

I don't know about you, but that strikes me as rather mean. Quality will out. We can argue like angels on the head of a pin, or even in a 'chicken and egg' whether TV success brought the books later, but I will always contend that these books would have found the audience they did even without TV.

But book publishers are far more likely to publish for the "popular market" (i.e. at sensible rather than academic prices) someone who "has been on the telly", and those starting their own private study of WW1 and looking to buy a "first book" are far more likely to buy a book where they either recognise the author's name - or even (not I think in RH's case) his face on the cover!

Possibly "Quality will out", but "marketing and publicity is quicker and more certain" - however much we bemoan the fact.

Richard Holmes did popularise his subject - however he seemed to be able to do it without the inevitable "dumbing down", he sort of commanded you to change intellectual gear.

David

An excellent historian, Soldiers (with John Keegan) being my favourite. An influential and singular man.

Thanks to all for the many moving tributes expressed here. I have asked the secretary of the Guild of Battlefield Guides, Richard Holmes was our founding patron, to circulate details in the next weekly Guild update so members can read the comments posted here. SG

Shocked to hear the news.

His books are very enjoyable to read, and with a particular style all of their own. He will be surely missed.

Stuart

I like everyone else was greatly saddened to hear Richard had died. He was generous, kind and very approachable. I heard Richard speak at the Surrey history Centre 18 months ago and was captivated by his talk and I congratulated him afterwards on is superb oratory. As always he was modest, 'I've had 40 years to get it right', he said. I never forget the last words on one of his War Walks when, sitting by a grave on an unknown soldier, he finished by saying that he always remembered that 'the least of these men was just a much a man as I am,' a statement that said so much about Richard Holmes and his brand of thoughtful history. A great man.

Forton

I was shocked to hear of Richard Holmes untimely death. He gave so much. His insight, clarity and professionalism will be very sadly missed. My thoughts are with his family.

Guest graeme cooper

Learning of the passing of Richard Holmes instantly filled me with huge sadness. We battlefield guides see the departure of perhaps the greatest artisan of our craft and the closing of an era that has been steered by his unique dedication and contribution to military history. Richard's sheer ability to engage folk from all sphere's of interest was his hallmark... he could mesmerise an audience with his eloquence and utter comprehension of the workings of history.

He has been a beacon of encouragement to me and to many guides I know.

Richard was a friend of many. Not a more knowledgeable, forthright, thoroughly pleasant and interesting person could you wish to meet. I doubt we will meet his like again.

Richard Holmes was covered by General Sir Mike Jackson on BBC Radio 4's Last Word this evening. It's not available on listen again, but is rebroadcast Sunday, 20:30 on BBC Radio 4

David

Very sad, he will be missed. i have read a number of his books, and riding the retreat is a must.

I've been following the various tributes from readers published in the 'Times' following their obituary. I don't think I can recall quite so many for any other person.

Edwin