The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Christopher BRENNAN

Guest ses

:D I would like to know if someone can help me find something on this person.

His name was Christopher (Christy) BRENNAN he was born Blanchtown Dublin

Ireland, He was killed in the great war in France 1914/1918. He had travelled from Ireland to enlist in England.

This is all we know of him Could someone Help. I would be most grateful for any help.

Sarah.

One possibility

Name: BRENNAN, CHRISTOPHER

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 21213

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 16 C

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

SDGW adds that he was born in Dublin and enlisted in Glasgow.

Try searching the CWGC Debt of Honour for more at CWGC as there are other possibles.

Hello Sarah,and welcome to the forum.

No expert,but wonder if the Royal Dublin Fusiliers,were part of 10th Brigade,4th Division,8th Corps,and served as the 1st Royal Irish Fusiliers?

1st day of the Somme,in 1916,the day he was KIA,the 1st Royal Irish Fusilers were part of this brigade and division.

I am not sure where they served,on the 1st,but it looks as though they were part of a regular Division,that is people who had chosen to make their work,the army.

If it is the same battalion,they served with people from all over the UK.

Lancashire,Somerset,West Yorkshire,Hampshire,Warwickshire and Essex,and The 1st Battalion,The Rifle Brigade.

What a mixture!

You are in the right place,and i am sure you will have no problems with finding any information,on Christy.

Good hunting,and all the best.

Simon Furnell.

Hello Sarah and welcome to the Forum,

Assuming that the Christy Brennan in the CWGC is the one you are after, he was killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme as the 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers attempted to assault the fortified village of Beaumont Hamel. The Dubliners and the 1st Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers suffered very heavy casualties in the assault.

Simon, 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers were a regular battalion and existed prior to the war. Their nickname was "The Old Toughs". The 1st Royal Irish Fusiliers were also a regular battalion and their nickname was "The Faughs" after their battle cry Faugh a Ballagh (more correctly Fág an bealach - Clear the way).

The 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers were part of 29th Division at the Somme.

Sarah, your man was probably born in Blanchardstown, rather than Blanchtown. Blanchardstown is now part ofthe greater Dublin area; in those days it was probably a village outside Dublin.

Regards,

Liam.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sarah,

My Granduncle also served with the Dublins in the great war. Check out the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association website, they atre a great bunch of lad based at the Civic Musem in Dublin.

www.greatwar.ie

There are contact names on the site, they may be able to help you out, they certain helped me.

Regards

Ross