The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Godfrey L Palmer

Guest Zapp Brannigan

Guest Zapp Brannigan

I'm fairly sure its Royal Field Artillery, but any other information that anyone can glean from this photo would be appreciated. Godfrey is on the right hand side.

Thanks

post-1-1089057315.jpg

Welcome to the Forum Zapp.

By the crossed flags on his sleeve I think Godfrey was a signaller, who was wounded once (indicated by the short white stripe near his cuff).

I don't think they are Royal Artillery though. It is similar, but that high square shape doesn't quite fit. Would I be right in thinking the four chevrons on the sleeve of the chap sitting on the left indicate his years on active service?

Any chance of a higher resolution image Zapp? There is plenty of information on the photo, but magnification in Photoshop doesn't help identify shoulder titles and the badge on their upper sleeves.

Hi Zapp!

They're definately Royal Artillery (whether it's RGA, RFA or RHA (or even HAC artillery - same badge ,different wording)- who knows? - same badge!).You can also tell by the lanyard.

Kate's correct that he was a signaller who was wounded and the service chevrons on the other soldier indicate that this photo was taken in at ,the earliest ,early 1918. The medal ribbons and the sign could indicate a photo taken in 1919(ish) shortly prior to de-mobilization.

Dave.

I don't think they are Royal Artillery though. It is similar, but that high square shape doesn't quite fit.

Kate.

I think the "glare" from the polished badge on the photo gives the effect of a different shape here. I don't know of any other badge that resembles the RA (and Co.)from a distance.

Dave.

Guest Zapp Brannigan

Thanks for all your help! Unfortunately this is the only picture (the scan) I have of Godfrey in uniform. It was sent to my by my great great uncle who was just a kid during the war so doesn't remember what his brother got upto. He did seem to think he rode horses, does this make sense if he was a signaller?

I'm planning to go the National Archives today, fingers crossed I find something.

Thanks again

:D

Here are some more ideas for you.

On the upper arms of the soldiers (all Royal Field Artillery) you can see the divisional sign of 9th (Scottish) Division, which consisted of a blue circle with a white metal thistle fixed in the centre.

Also, the men are wearing overseas chevrons, which indicates that the photograph was taken from 1918 onwards.

Similarly, four of the five soldiers are wearing the ribbons for the British War Medal and Victory Medal, indicating that this photo was probably taken in 1919, when 9th Division was on occupation duties in Germany.

Guest Zapp Brannigan

I was able to find the record of his campaign medals and this confirmed that he was in the RFA, however, I was unable to find his service record. Is there any other way I can find out what brigade he was in?

Thanks for the suggestion of 9th Division, how certain can you be that that is correct? Are there any similar badges?

I am virtually 100% certain that the sign is that of 9th (Scottish) Division, but if you can provide a close-up scan it would help to make the identification positive. There were no similar signs to that worn by 9th Division, especially with the metal thistle. This version of the insignia worn on uniform was introduced in 1918 and was worn by all units and ranks serving with the division.

As for identifying which particular unit he served with as part of 9th Divisional Artillery, this may prove to be more difficult without any records or written information on any of the photos that you have got.

Guest Zapp Brannigan

Thanks again for your help, I will have to get on to my great great uncle to see if he can find any further pictures. At least I know what I'm looking for now.