The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Times on-line

bmac

Not sure whether this has already been mentioned or is available elsewhere but I have just discovered that my local library service now has The Times available on-line for the period 1785-1985. Searches are very comprehensive and results can be viewed as a graphic, pdf or emailed as text and you can see either just a specific article or the whole page. I am currently viewing the Killed in Action columns for July and August 1916 which include obituaries, etc.

The URL is http://web4.infotrac.galegroup.com/itw/inf...1/purl=rc6_TTDA

Whether this allows general access I don't know as I had to key in my library card number and password to get access though my council's on-line library system. Certainly worth getting access to, though.

With further use the system really is good. I have already found several sets of biographical details not available through the NA. Very quick search facility once get used to its selection foibles.

Hi,

I have just spoken to my local library, and if you have a library card there is no problem with issuing you with the details required to use INFOTRAC.

Thanks

Glynn.

Whether this allows general access I don't know as I had to key in my library card number and password to get access though my council's on-line library system. Certainly worth getting access to, though.

Keying in the word "trial" (without quotes) will also get you in :D:D

Kate

Hi Kate,

Typed in trial, but then it asked me for a password. As i dont have one i cant get in??.

Glynn.

Keying in the word "trial" (without quotes) will also get you in

Arggggg - I've been using this for the last month without any problems - just now when I tried it, it tells me that the account doesn't exist. Guess the "free trial" account has expired. :angry:

Kate

Arggggg - I've been using this for the last month without any problems - just now when I tried it, it tells me that the account doesn't exist. Guess the "free trial" account has expired.

Hello Kate

I think its because you, me, Uncle Tom Cobley and all have been using it. Fortunately I was back online within minutes by accessing it using my library details, its compulsive reading.

Andy

&*#@$*! I've lost my access too. Glad I've burned cds with much of the information on it. Now the source has dried up, I can set about the mammoth task of organising it and gleening useful information.

I heartily recommend this to any of you fortunate enough to belong to libraries/institutions that have subscribed. Can't recall whether it was on this forum but I think someone enquired about individual access and found out it cost thousands. Hopefully one day they'll make it cost effective for those of us living in deprived areas.

Matthew

Mathew

Check out your local library, you never know.

Andy