The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lancashire regiments serving in Palestine?

Guest rubicon

Guest rubicon

Hello everyone, I hope someone will have patience with a complete beginner and point me in the right direction for finding which regiment my grandfather Ernest Jacques may have been in. He did survive the war but was left profoundly deaf from his time in the trenches. He would have joined up somewhere near to his home in Rhodes, near Middleton, Lancashire. I am not really sure where he was posted to. The only clues I have are a box made of olivewood inscribed with the word Jerusalem and a figure of an oriental sitting on a wooden water buffalo that he brought back for his mother. I do know that some of the Lancashire regiments went to the east and would like to read up on the history,especially from the viewpoint of the ordinary soldier if that is possible. Thank you for your time.

The Online National Archive{qv} gives two Ernest Jacques{out of 10 listed} who served with the LF,I was in the TF with the Number 201229;The other A Kitchener Volunteer with the Number 15249,another served in the Yorks & Lancs{Number:14488}Others listed[There may be a few others,not online as yet,]are : 70348 Gunner RFA;199 Driver RFA;S/27243 Rfn,Rifle Brigade;203093 King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry;2664 Herefordshire Regt TF;& 88644 Pte RAMC.[ see NA Medal Index Cards{see Long Trail @ the head of this forum for details}