The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

James Lawson died 19/10/1916 Lincolnshire Regiment

sdjknox

I seem to remember something like this coming up before. I think it was something to do with men serving in Ireland with the 2/5th who were sent to France, though listed as going to the 1/5th on the Medal Roll.

Or medals being stamped to men of the Lincolnshire Regiment, though never actually serving with the Lincolnshires in France.

The Monmouths seem to come to mind.

It is some time ago, however.

DW

DW,

That is really interesting. With James joining up date of December 1915 this was after the time the battalion had left for France in whatever guise of 1/5 or 2/5. I have sent a reply to Jim who has provided some other background information regarding the 1/5, 2/5 and 2nd battalion conundrum. James Lawson was killed in France so the medal situation for him seems correct.

Regards,

Steve

Steve,

The 1/5th didn't assimilate with the 2nd Lincs, but the draft of men (which included Lawson) who were intended for the 1/5th (and were coming from the 1/5th depot) did for want of a better world "assimilated" into the 2nd Lincolns upon or shortly upon arrival in France.

Hit up either Steve Bramley or Chris Bailey for the details on how the 1/5th reinforcement system worked in detial.

Steve,

The 1/5th didn't assimilate with the 2nd Lincs, but the draft of men (which included Lawson) who were intended for the 1/5th (and were coming from the 1/5th depot) did for want of a better world "assimilated" into the 2nd Lincolns upon or shortly upon arrival in France.

Hit up either Steve Bramley or Chris Bailey for the details on how the 1/5th reinforcement system worked in detial.

Jim,

Thanks for the post, I have looked at the posts by Steve and Chris and think I understand what the situation was regarding the draft of the 1/5 and the 2nd Lincolnshire.

You have followed me across my two posts in Soldiers and Units & Formations and I know so much more than when I first posted in part due to your posts. I am going to set another going about another Lawson George Henry. I know nothing about his military service in the first world war other than although born in Somerby Lincolnshire it is possible he served in a Yorks regiment.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Steve

Just seen this post and i know somewhere in a box i have a copy of a booklet produced by Peter Bradshaw that details all the Morton men who were killed in the war. He produced it for the benefit of the peoples in his History class at the school he teaches at in Gainsborough. I am sure from memory that it has newspaper articles relating to James Lawson and a picture of him. I also seem to recall that James had a brother (Harry?) who was killed at around the same time. I will head into the boxes tonight and try and find for you.

Chris

Steve

Just seen this post and i know somewhere in a box i have a copy of a booklet produced by Peter Bradshaw that details all the Morton men who were killed in the war. He produced it for the benefit of the peoples in his History class at the school he teaches at in Gainsborough. I am sure from memory that it has newspaper articles relating to James Lawson and a picture of him. I also seem to recall that James had a brother (Harry?) who was killed at around the same time. I will head into the boxes tonight and try and find for you.

Chris

Chris,

Fantastic what news! I know the family history back to the 1600's in general terms and it looks like James had a brother Harry also born in Morton in 1892. Impressed by your memory and look forward to any further news. I can see that another post is coming regarding Harry!

Kind regards,

Steve

Steve

Glad i could help although to be fair the research was all done by Peter Bradshaw and i am merely passing on his research. Attached is the article from the Gainsborough news that contains both their photographs. However as you can see the scan of a photocopy is not great. There are several other articles from the Gainsborough News, more from Harry inparticular including a transcript of the letter he wrote home on the eve of his death. However scanning and posting on the forum is going to lose the quality. If you pm me your address i will copy them and post to you. It may be worth contacting the library at Gainsborough and asking for copies of the originals as these will be far better quality. There are articles and pictures concerning Harry in the paper on 25/6/15 ; 16/7/15 ; 27/8/15 ; 15/12/16. For James the paper on 1/12/16 and 15/12/16.

post-1012-0-93442600-1307909916.jpg

Chris

PS: sorry to slightly mislead but Harry was killed 16/6/15 with the 1st Lincolns. Both worked in the boilershop at Marshall's engineering prior to enlisting

Steve

Glad i could help although to be fair the research was all done by Peter Bradshaw and i am merely passing on his research. Attached is the article from the Gainsborough news that contains both their photographs. However as you can see the scan of a photocopy is not great. There are several other articles from the Gainsborough News, more from Harry inparticular including a transcript of the letter he wrote home on the eve of his death. However scanning and posting on the forum is going to lose the quality. If you pm me your address i will copy them and post to you. It may be worth contacting the library at Gainsborough and asking for copies of the originals as these will be far better quality. There are articles and pictures concerning Harry in the paper on 25/6/15 ; 16/7/15 ; 27/8/15 ; 15/12/16. For James the paper on 1/12/16 and 15/12/16.

post-1012-0-93442600-1307909916.jpg

Chris

PS: sorry to slightly mislead but Harry was killed 16/6/15 with the 1st Lincolns. Both worked in the boilershop at Marshall's engineering prior to enlisting

Chris,

My wife (nee Lawson), her mother who is staying with us at the moment (married a Lawson) and I are overwhelmed by what you have let us know. My mother in law was in Gainsborough last week and tells me the gates to Marshalls still exist at M&S. The news of Harry was completely unknown and has sent me down another track. I feel duty bound to have a research session myself before throwing it to the forum to assist!!

I am sending you a pm as requested.

Kind Regards,

Steve