The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Berks Reg. POW

Guest Nick Powell

Guest Nick Powell

Hi all

I am looking for details on one John Frank March of the Royal Berkshire Regiment and his time in a German POW camp.

He was captured after 1/8/15 This is the date we have that his future brother in law was killed while standing in a trench next to him!

Location of the camp or anything else gratefully accepted.

TIA

Nick

Nick if you get no joy, contact the museum in Salisbury. The very helpful and knowledgeable researchers there will probably be able to help. The Royal Berkshires database is incredible and something we intend to emulate with our Buffs database.

Mick

Guest Nick Powell

Simon and Doug

Thanks for the link at present I keep getting the dreaded page cannot be displayed message! however I will try again later, it may be due to my antique computer or problems at the other end.

I understand that records of POWs was not brilliant during the first world war and many records were destroyed in a fire;what about service records?

Thanks again

NICK.

I understand that records of POWs was not brilliant during the first world war and many records were destroyed in a fire;what about service records?

The army service records (most of them) were in the archive building that was burned in 1940. About a third or so of the records remain. Where the soldier became a POW, the papers may give some details - but often not much more than "POW 21 March 1918" or similar.

The best single source for POW records is the International Committee of the Red Cross, in Geneva. They hold enormous archives. I have heard conflicting stories of whether they still offer a look-up service. Can anyone update this?

Guest Ian Bowbrick
The best single source for POW records is the International Committee of the Red Cross, in Geneva. They hold enormous archives. I have heard conflicting stories of whether they still offer a look-up service. Can anyone update this?

Chris,

They no longer offer information on WW1 POWs.

Ian