The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hampshire Regt

Guest billclarke1

Guest billclarke1

I am trying to source information on my grandfathers war service.

I live in Australia and am a member of the Royl Australian Air Force for 19 years now.

This is somthing i have wanted to do for some time now, all I know of his service is from his medals. His name was Pte E.H. Clarke 42728, members of this forum have already informed me that he was also a member of the Royal Berkshire Regiment as well with the number 44893. I know that he was gassed and also had a metal plate in his head, but no other detais, a check with my aunt revealed that he did not talk about the war or his time in the Army.

If I can find enough information I intend mounting his medals with a photo and a record of his war service for future generations of my family.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

billclarke1,

I will need to check the medal rolls for clarification but Pte 42728 Edward H. Clarke was entitled to a Victory Medal and British War Medal pair. Based purely on his number is likely to have been 1st Hampshire's. I'll have a look and see what else I can find out for you.

Marc

billclarke,

The Medal Roll confirms that Pte 42728 E.H. Clarke served with a regular battalion of the Hampshire's, but 2nd Battalion, not 1st as indicated above. He then transferred to 2nd Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment with the regimental number 44893. I have come across no further references to him for the Hampshire's.

If you have not done so already can I suggest that you contact the regimental museum in Salisbury for the Berkshire's. The database that they maintain is very impressive and one that I hope to emulate over time with the Hampshire's.

You can find them at The Wardrobe

Marc