The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Charley's War reprinted!

Derek Robertson

Must have missed the Battle comics (remember reading Victor) during my mis spent youth - but having just read the hardback book Charley's War - What can I say

Bloody Marvellous

Glyn

Glyn,

Welcome to the Charlie Bourne fan club :P

I ordered the 'Charley's War' Volume I for the school library. One of my keenest battlefield tourists, a Year 8 (13 years old), was the first to borrow it and thought it was 'fantastic'.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the tip on the new Charley's War book. Was a huge fan when I was a boy. Still got some Battle comics from that time. Was one of the reasons I became interested in WW1 history.

In reference to CROONAERT's quiz I believe the answer to Q5. was he was court martialled for refusing to take part in Lieutenant Thomas's execution? (Didn't he recognise Thomas limp as he was being lead out?)

In terms of remembering old stories, can anyone recall the flashback where Charley bumps into a deserter in London (lad called Blue?)who re-tells his story of being part of the French Foreign Legion at Verdun?

I think I'm gonna have to re-read volume 1 tonight!! :)

Probably a little late finding this thread and would like to know more..so I followed Derek Robertsons link and got a Dating Agency - whats going on here? B)

regards

Geoff

Thats a hell of a memory you have there Ed,and i believe you are right.

It was because of the limp.

Used to love Charleys war as a kid.

All the best.

Simon.

Thanks for the tip on the new Charley's War book.  Was a huge fan when I was a boy.  Still got some Battle comics from that time.  Was one of the reasons I became interested in WW1 history.

In reference to CROONAERT's quiz I believe the answer to Q5. was he was court martialled for refusing to take part in Lieutenant Thomas's execution? (Didn't he recognise Thomas limp as he was being lead out?)

In terms of remembering old stories, can anyone recall the flashback where Charley bumps into a deserter in London (lad called Blue?)who re-tells his story of being part of the French Foreign Legion at Verdun?

I think I'm gonna have to re-read volume 1 tonight!!  :)

Ed,

A comic called Megazine is also reprinting the story at the moment, they've just finished the story of the Zeppelin raid on Silvertown. I've been collecting the reprints since about Dec 2002!

If I'm right, the next part of the story will be about Blue, who I believe he also meets at Etaples when they printed the story about the mutiny there.

You're absolutely right about the Lieut Thomas story, it's also is one of my favourites.

Steve Smith

Ed,

A comic called Megazine is also reprinting the story at the moment, they've just finished the story of the Zeppelin raid on Silvertown. I've been collecting the reprints since about Dec 2002!

If I'm right, the next part of the story will be about Blue, who I believe he also meets at Etaples when they printed the story about the mutiny there.

You're absolutely right about the Lieut Thomas story, it's also is one of my favourites.

Steve Smith

You're not wrong about Blue and Etaples either.

There were some fantastic stories in the series. Thanks for the tip about Megazine. May have to give it a look. I sincerely hope they end up bringing the whole series out in these hardback volumes.

Started reading Volume 1 last night. Took me back to being a boy again! :D

Charley wasn't actually court martailed for refusing to shoot Lt Thomas (although he did recognise the hooded officer by his limp) -instead he went before the CO and was given Field Punisnment, dished out by the infamous Sgt Bacon.

The Court Martial was indeed for a self-inflicted wound. Whilst cleaning his rifle at "The Wart" Charley accidentally shot himself in the foot. Bad blood between him and his newly promoted platoon commander, Scholar, led Scholar to denouce it as a SIW. Fortunately a death-bed statement from another officer cleared things up, an not only was Charley acquitted, but he also ended up marrying one of his nurses. Result!

You wouldn't think I had a girlfriend......

Cheers

Paul.

Regarding the name of the Westshires CO, I don't think it was ever mentioned. Charley did however save his life by denoting some blood to his badly wounded CO during Third Ypres.

On the subject of CW trivia, who can remember:

1) The name of the German prisoner who helps Charley collect the wounded during Third Ypres?

2) The name of the RFC vet who returns to the Menin Gate over 60 years on?

3) What unusual artifact is revealed by the Messines mines explosion?

Anoraks only need apply....

Paul.