The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remember Them

moggs

Found this book at a book store (of all places!) and immediately bought it.

Katrina Hedditch has written a unique history combining personal letters of men from, particularly, the south west of Victoria, their battalions and a general view of the whole war. Her pre-war section is very interesting going back to the beginnings of organised regiments pre-Federation.

She has a personal interest in that her Grandfather, John Wallace Malseed was a part of the 14th Battalion, hence my interest was further sparked.

She refers to Bean and Wanliss and Rule quite often which colours her points nicely. I just wish she'd given more push to her own story and those of the men she researched. Reading their letters to home was much appreciated but I wanted more from them as opposed to the three well-known sources.

Still, it is a very good read.

Jonathan

PS. I was in Dymocks when I saw it but here are the publishing details if any are interested

Remember Them

A Generation of Victorians at the Great War

Exchange Printers, Mt Gambier

published in 2010

Thanks for letting us know about this book Johnathon, I'll keep a look out for it.

Is the book self-published? As you sound surprised to have found it at a bookstore.

I've been buying a lot of collections of letters/published by a family member type of books lately as they provide good source material other than Bean and the Battalion Histories.

I've often thought that a list of them and the battalions they centre around would be a good thing.

Scott

Thanks for letting us know about this book Johnathon, I'll keep a look out for it.

Is the book self-published? As you sound surprised to have found it at a bookstore.

I've been buying a lot of collections of letters/published by a family member type of books lately as they provide good source material other than Bean and the Battalion Histories.

I've often thought that a list of them and the battalions they centre around would be a good thing.

Scott

It looks like it's self-published - soft cover, perfect binding but very well presented. The only link to a publisher is the the print company so I assume it is self-published.

I agree, a list would be helpful.

Jonathan

Thanks from me too Jonathan - I've been collecting these type of books for ages too - always fascinating.

Scott - I have the feeling there was a list started somewhere a long time ago - probably on this forum - hmmmm, although it might have actually been a list of books with bios of soldiers from various war memorials, now I come to think of it - perhaps we could start one! :)

Cheers, Frev

Scott - I have the feeling there was a list started somewhere a long time ago - probably on this forum - hmmmm, although it might have actually been a list of books with bios of soldiers from various war memorials, now I come to think of it - perhaps we could start one! :)

Johnathon,Frev,

I don't think it would be too difficult to start a list. I can sort through my modest collection and list what I have by the Battalion/unit they relate to in the near future. I will start a thread after that and let others add to it at will.

Not a list of Battalion histories, just books related to them. There are some obscure titles out there and some very good ones as well.

I think you will be able to add a few titles Frev!

What do you think?

Scott

I think you will be able to add a few titles Frev!

What do you think?

I'm not sure 'few' is the right word :blink: it may become yet another major project!

But if you start the thread Scott, I'll do my best to add as many as I can :)