The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Great War

deadin

I just found up a set (6 Volumes) of the above titled books. (Excellent condition with dust jackets)

They are a 1999 reprint of the original 13 volumes edited by H.W Wilson and J.A. Hammerton.

They were being surplussed by our local library to the Friends of the Library Book Sale and I need to find a fair, but reasonable price to pay for them.

I can't find anything on the internet booksellers other than Vol 1.

Any suggestions what the whole set might bring??

Thanks,

Dean

I got the original set myself from our local church bookstalls, at 50p for 5 volumes. I did a bit of searching to get the missing volume and noticed posts on GWF from 5 years previously giving a price of £25 for the lot - not sure if these were reprints or original. However, I don't think they mentioned dustjackets. I would check on e-bay and Abebooks (also perhaps Turner & Donovan or Marine and Cannon) to get an idea of what other people are charging.

• 4 months later...

Are we talking about the big brown book as Hammerton also seems to have adifferent series out?

I have several volumes of this book and would like to get the set eventually. Is it correct that there are 13 volumes as I think mine go to about 1916 and I think I have 10 of them?

Thanks

Jim

There were 13 volumes in the set,i bought mine many years ago.They are always appearing on e-bay and don't seem to fetch much money,i supose it's because they take up so much shelf space and weigh a ton!.The three volume set 'The Great War.... i was there!',which was also edited by Hammerton is my favourite,as it contains a wealth of personal accounts taken from a wide range of memoirs and specially commisioned works and has some terrific photographs of the war and more importantly( for me)many of the contributers.

Dean

At a local auction, last Saturday, a complete set went for £40. I'd placed an online bid of £35 and the auction house estimate was £50 - £70. I felt the estimate was a bit high but there is no guarantee I would have had the winning bid even if I'd gone to £50.

That's life.

Garth