The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

French soldier - oil painting - help required please

aengland

I'm not sufficiently current with French Artillery uniforms to say what the insignia distictions would be.

I am... and that insignia is 1 RAC. (the others have different soutaches and colour schemes).

Dave

Good evening Andrew,

If he is one of the "twelve" (and Dave's Lt Foy is my favourite) you could possibly narrow it down further by eliminating some of the 11/11/1918 Lieutenants that didn't have sufficient service in but a better bet might be to post the pictures on the francophone Pages14-18 forum. There may be someone there who has access to other regimental records or if you strike lucky, a descendant of the subject !

I purchased the painting from an antique dealer close to Noce, north-west of Nogent-le-Rotrou..... west of Chartres (pages 84 / 85 of the Michelin book!)

I shall be writing to him again in the near future reminding him of his promise (he can't be a totally bad chap for he was a keen rugby supporter, even if he did support the wrong team), and hinting about the information that you superb people have established. (I don't want him to have it all as he could easily direct me to one name to get me off his back!)

This forum is fantastic!

Thank you very much, one and all

Andrew

Foy was from Paris, but of course the family may have moved in 90+ years.