The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Captain A. O'Neill MP

Guest Desmond6

Guest Desmond6

For Kinnethmont on his birthday - better late than never!

Unfortunately, none of the letter writers mentioned by name in this newspaper account. However, these published extracts should help give a clearer picture of how O'Neill met his fate.

Hope they are of use to you. Other forum members with 'Life Guards/Household' interests may be able to provide more info.

Des

The Late Captain O'Neill

Killed in a bayonet charge.

The manner in which Captain the Hon. Arthur O'Neill was killed in action is related in letters received by the family of the late 2nd Lt. W. S. Peterson, 2nd Life Guards, from three of his brother officers. The following are extracts from the letters:-

"Yesterday afternoon, November 5, we were ordered to support and recapture a village out of which the French had been driven. The whole regiment dismounted and advanced under heavy rifle fire on the village, which was charged at the point of the bayonet by us. Your son - Lt. Peterson - was shot through the heart during this charge. I am most profoundly grieved; he was such a splendid fellow and such a great friend.

"We cleared the village at the point of the bayonet killing about 30 Germans and capturing about 20. I was the only officer left after this attack as out commaning officer, Major Dawney, a most gallant man was killed sitting next to me in the trench by a shrapnel shell. We also lost Captain O'Neill, killed, and Mr. Johnson and Mr. Hobson wounded, during this attack."

"Our brigade, the regiment itself, were known to stay in the trenches longer than anyone else. Your brother died with two other officers of the regiment, Major Dawney, commanding and Captain Arthur O'Neill, in driving the Germans back; they accomplished this work and in so doing actually saved most likely a great defeat of our arms; the fact is recognised by the General. I heard - I do not vouch for the truth of it - your brother (Peterson) killed 16 Germans before he was killed."

"As the senior officer left with the regiment, and as I was also the squadron leader', I write to let you know that he (peterson) died leading his troops most gallantly as we advanced under enemy fire."

From Ballymena Observer, November 20, 1914

• 1 month later...