The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Good WW1 Fiction at last?

Dawson

I see that Richard Holmes has decided to rest on his non fiction titles, and decided to do a four book series dealing with the 13th Battalion Hampshire Regiment in the First World War. The first book is titled 'A pride of tigers' A Subaltern's Tale and starts with the training of a certain Guy Erskine and follows his life I guess through the war with the books to follow.

I do quite like Richard Holmes, he knows his stuff, so I for one, is rather looking forward to this.

Ian.

• Admin

I assume this is the late Richard Holmes and these books are being published posthumously?

Michelle

I see that Richard Holmes has decided to rest on his non fiction titles, and decided to do a four book series dealing with the 13th Battalion Hampshire Regiment in the First World War. The first book is titled 'A pride of tigers' A Subaltern's Tale and starts with the training of a certain Guy Erskine and follows his life I guess through the war with the books to follow.

I do quite like Richard Holmes, he knows his stuff, so I for one, is rather looking forward to this.

Ian.

I have the same question as Michelle, but I'm looking forward to seeing them published. That's if I can get through my "backlog" of other books in time to read it.

Rgds

DD

It appears to be, although Amazon do manage to confuse the two Professor Richard Holmes (the late lamented Military Historian and the literary biographer) in their listings, so who knows. If so, the Prof was following a common recent pattern amongst serious military historians to try to move into the Sharpe/Flashman genre of Historical fiction. Saul David and Adrian Goldsworthy have both tried their hands at this recently, for example. It seems unlikely that he had completed the quartet before his recent untimely death, but we can live in hope.

Bloody hell!

I didn't know he'd passed away.

When did he die?

Such a shame, his enthusiasm about all things military will be missed greatly.

Ian.

Thank you,

Just read it. I can't believe he had written the full quartet, so I'll have to treasure the first book.

He was also due to write a book on paschendaele which will I guess not now be published, as that would have been a great read too.

Ian