The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German aspect of the war

flintwich

I have read numerous books about WW1, all from the British viewpoint.

Can anyone reccomend some books about the German aspect of the war ?

Thanks

Al

Check out Jack Sheldon's books. Enter "The German army" + Sheldon into the Amazon search engine.

Also forum pal Ralph Whitehead's magisterial trilogy "The Other Side of the Wire" (Volume 1 already published, Volume 2 out soon, and Volume 3 in preparation).

Also forum pal Ralph Whitehead's magisterial trilogy "The Other Side of the Wire" (Volume 1 already published, Volume 2 out soon, and Volume 3 in preparation).

Agreed. Excellent stuff. If you haven't read it, Ernst Junger's book 'Storm of Steel' is a classic.

I have just finished reading Jack Sheldon's The German Army at passchendaele. It was an exceptionally well researched and written piece that portrays the experience of the German Army, from Ludendorff all the way down to the German soldier during the battle. If you are after a book that is plentiful in first hand accounts then I would look no further.

Other book's in the series include The German Army at - Cambrai/Vimy Ridge/Ypres 1914/On the Somme

They have all received excellent reviews and suggest you start with one of these.

I second the point above regarding Storm of Steel. This is also interesting if your after an account of German fighting against the French as well which another under documented aspect of the war in British literature.

Hope this helps

M

I've always found the best overview to be Holger Herwig's volume:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-World-War-Austria-Hungary-1914-1918/dp/0340573481/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307985396&sr=8-1

Also excellent is Robert Foley's book on Verdun:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/German-Strategy-Path-Verdun-Development/dp/0521044367/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307985512&sr=8-2

For an in-the-trenches view, you can do no better than invest in all of Jack Sheldon's books, plus Ralph Whitehead's trilogy (well, the first volume of the latter - still eagerly waiting for the rest).

I am now reading German army at Ypres by Jack Sheldon,having read the rest of the titles available,by Jack Sheldon on the German Army.

The otherside of the wire by Ralph Whitehead a definite read for anyone interested in the German Army.

Also excellent is Robert Foley's book on Verdun:

http://www.amazon.co...07985512&sr=8-2

For an in-the-trenches view, you can do no better than invest in all of Jack Sheldon's books, plus Ralph Whitehead's trilogy (well, the first volume of the latter - still eagerly waiting for the rest).

Foley's book is superb and one of the best books I've read on The First World War. I am waiting for a possible translation of Afflerbach's biography on Falkenhayn. I fear I may wait a very long time indeed.

If your after something a bit different to first hand accounts of the German front line soldier then you could try General Headquarters 1914-1916 and it's Critical Decisions by Falkenhayn.

I purchased a copy from Amazon last night and can't wait to get started. After I finish The German Army at Ypres 1914

M