The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Walking The Somme: Paul Reed: 2nd Edition

ulsterlad2

Took delivery recently but never had a chance to check it out because I was away.

Having a quick flick through I see that not only are the walks given a time range but also they have a distance indicator. I think this is a welcome addition that isn't in the Arras or Salient books. Is that new to this edition or was it also in the 1st edition?

My first edition gives the time but not the distance.

I have yet to get the updated version but it is on my list

Andy

The first edition didn't have distances as I wrote the book originally 20 years ago long before the Net and long before software like Memory Map, which for this revision I used to accurately map each route.

This updated volume is fully revised and has an extra walk (Mametz Wood) plus some new images and a colour section.

Hope it proves of interest.

Absolutely.

Used Arras a few times and Salient last week and loved every minute of it tbh.

I look forward to trying this new one 'in the field' as they say.

The first edition didn't have distances as I wrote the book originally 20 years ago long before the Net and long before software like Memory Map, which for this revision I used to accurately map each route.

This updated volume is fully revised and has an extra walk (Mametz Wood) plus some new images and a colour section.

Paul - your publishers are doing you proud: I've just had a flyer through the post from pen and sword promoting it.:)

William

Currently finish up Walking D Day which will be out next winter.

Does that mean that you can walk on water now Paul - you know, the one that starts out at the ships! tongue.gif

Jim

I walked to his gaffe once - it was rather hot. Man's great at battlefield guide books .. but his cooking ... say no more. :rolleyes:

I am very happy that a new edition is out and congratulations to you. "Walking" is a tremendous work and it has been indispensable on several trips to the Somme. Well done. My dog-eared, water-stained, beer-stained, mud-stained copy can now be given a rest. I shall order mine soon.

peter

I was at the National Archives at Kew yesterday, and was unable to prevent myself from buying a copy in the bookshop to read on the train back to the south coast. I am looking forward to actually using it in France next May.

William

• 1 month later...

Just bought the 2nd Edition, as my 1st Edition has fell apart. Nice one Paul. Like the colour section.

Regards

Terry

Have gone straight to Amazon and ordered it....

regards

Tom

I used the Salient book last week and followed seven of the walks- Brilliant. Used the first edition of the Somme two years ago and will buy the new one. The inclusion of distances is a welcome addition.

Glen

Haven't got it yet but was looking at in Waterstones the other day. I don't have the first edition so cannot comment on comparisons, but this is a fine piece of work and even though I know the Somme quite well I shall definitely buy it before my next visit. Excellent Paul, well done.

• 6 months later...

For those interested, the free online Warfare magazine this month has an entire chapter of Walking The Somme you can read and download in pdf format for free; it's the chapter that covers Beaumont-Hamel and Hawthorn Ridge. I don't know how long these issues stay online, so act quickly!

http://www.warfaremagazine.co.uk/

6851763571_b4151a2925_o.jpg

Very interesting magazine. Thanks for the 'heads up' Paul. Have done that walk before using your 'old' edition but still learnt more from your article and will no doubt do the walk again next time I am there without the school kids. Maybe the summer of 2013 as a retired man of leisure.

Len

I've done all the Somme and Salient walks, in fact I think I have walked every walk in every Battleground Europe book.

I suppose I'll have to do the Somme ones again with the second book, isn't life tough.

Paul

If you ever plan another book, a couple of walks around Transloy Ridge would be welcome.

Still trying to get my head round this area.

Sean

Thanks Sean.

I may do a volume 2 one day but I do have plans for a new walking book for the centenerary, among other things in the pipeline.

Whatever you publish, I'll buy.

You opened up the Somme to me, before that I was a Ypres man.

Sean