The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Escape From Germany

Tim Wright

Just picked up this book at Asda in hardback for £8.00.

Pictures look good, story of the breakout from Holzminden POW camp.

Anyone read this yet?

Tim.

I've not seen this one yet, but if it is as good his books First Blitz and The Unknown Soldier it should be be really first class.

Stuart

Just picked up this book at Asda in hardback for £8.00.

Pictures look good, story of the breakout from Holzminden POW camp.

Anyone read this yet?

Tim.

No only the original Tunnelers of Holzminden by one who was actually there. Does it add anything new?

Apart from The Tunnelers of Holzminden, Beyond the Tumult picked up a lot of the remaining available unpublished information so apart from a few untapped reports in WO161 I am struggling to see what it could add. The price is a hefty discount off the RRP which is odd for a book only recently published, especially if it involved a lot of original research. Please let us know whether it is worth the money or if it is a rewrite.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have a photo of Captain Harold W. Medlicott, a POW of Holzminden who escaped only to be recaptured? Regards, Ross Thomas rossjthomas@bigpond.com

• 1 year later...

Enjoyed this book immensely, my previous reading being only WWII stuff, this was enlightening.

I was very surprised to note that persons such as Kommandant Niemeyer were not mentioned in the later reports of 'war crimes' -not that I can see anyway?

Such a dramatic contrast between Holzminden and other oflags in this books account and again a dramatic contrast (which I'm guessing reflects the social attitudes) to the manner in which oflags were run in WWII, certainly no 'parole' offered there!