The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sargeant Walter Jackson DCM

Ivor

My Great Grandfather Walter Jackson was awarded the DCM. He joined up, I understand, in 1914, and according to his records entered the theatre of war in France on 17th July 1915.

He received the Distinguished Conduct Medal and the following was published:

in the LONDON GAZETTE, 11th March 1920:-

"DISTINGUISHED CONDUCT MEDAL

240700 SERGEANT W. JACKSON

2/5TH BN. R. LAN. R.

T.F. (CARNFORTH)

He carried out many daring patrols. Under heavy shell and machine gun fire he

has shown great coolness in sending back valuable information. During the

whole time his unit has been in France he has trained the sniping and scouting

section, and maintained a high level of efficiency".

I wonder if anyone can help me at this satge. Does anyone have access to any records that might explain whether he recieved the DCM for carrying 'out many daring patrols' etc., in just one battle (if so which) or was this for his total actions throught his time on the Western Front?

Thanks,

Ivor

The Wording of the Promulgation would indicate that the DCM was awarded for Continued Gallant Conduct & Bravery Over a Period of Time,as would the late Gazetting Date,being a Post War Award,a result of "Tidying up" & Granting awards to those Whose service was deemed worthy but who had previously gone unrewarded,those for a Specific Action on one Day usually are worded {& when you are extremely fortunate have Dates!}to suggest that the Gallantry occurred @ one time,nonetheless a Fine citation!

Thanks Harry.

Do you know who might of presented the medal to my GGrandfather, i.e. I take it that it must have been an officer of a certain rank or the Mayor of Lancaster or some other 'official'? Also, would this have taken place at some sort of ceremony? I was not quite 9 years old when he passed away in 1966 (I would have loved to have asked him a load of questions now about the war, etc.) and my grandmother (died in 1996) never mentioned anything about it to me.

Thanks,

Ivor