The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Request for Reg't ID

RNCVR

Could any of the PALS ID the soldier's Reg't in the pic attached??

His cap badge is fairly clear, one collar showing but not too clear, & I cannot make out what his shoulder badge is.

I know he is a Pioneer Serg't but dont know the Reg't.

The time period would be Edwardian.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

post-1-1089409077.jpg

Bryan

Looks very very much like the Royal Warwickshire Regiment's badge to me

Peter

Concur!

Thanks very much fellows for yr responses. Nice to know his Reg't.

I have attached a scan of the full photo below. The two sailors are Petty Officers, one a Stoker PO the other a Shipwright PO, its not clear in the photo but both their insignia have the Tudor(kings) crown, so I expect early Edwardian period.

I knew the RM wore the Brodrick cap but was not aware that the Army wore them also.

Again, thanks fellows! :rolleyes:

Bryan

post-1-1089493767.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The soldier's name is Sgt Jack Thurgood - he is the spitting image of a Sgt Thurgood whose picture appears in Phoebus' Book on WW1 published in 1973.

Ian

Well "ain't that special" ! Nice to have him ID'd.

Does it mention his medals?

Could you scan that pic in Phoebus' book Ian & post it?

Sure would like to have ID's on the two sailors - thats why I got the photo!

I look at these old photos & I always wonder - 'what became of them?' - 'did they survive the Great War?' - interesting to speculate.............

Thanks Ian,

Bryan

Could they be related?

Father and sons or brothers?

The sailors do look similar to me, what do others think?

Mandy

Yes Mandy interesting to speculate - I have a few of these photos where there is two or three or four of them in one shot - in some its pretty obvious that they are brothers, but I dont think so in this case, I wondered about that when I first recd the photo, & I also wonder where it was taken, with that rocky background I thought perhaps Gibralter, but I dont really know - just speculation.

I thought about that to but dont really think they look alike, but perhaps they do. The Stoker PO on the left looks very young to me but by his GCB's he has at least 8 yrs adult service in. The ship tallies are HMS Barossa & HMS Thistle, so they were serving on different ships (but of course that does not mean that they cannot be brothers). I think its three fellows out on a leave ashore (they have been walking for a bit, their boots are very dusty & that may not be obvious in the scan, but it sure is in the photo), maybe they went together, maybe the two sailors picked up the Warwick Sergt enroute, maybe they met at this place & there was a photog present & their images were reproduced (& where did the chair come from?) for people like us to gaze upon & wonder????? I dont know, its interesting to speculate tho - many many time I have WISHED these fellows had written their names & the place the pic was taken on the reverse!!!!! I have a few where this was done but very very few!

Bryan