The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Worcester Regiment

Guest overton

Guest overton

Hi,

I am new to the site so I hope I am in the right place doing the right thing.

My Grandad John Austin Hancox, was in the Worcester Regiment according to his Medal card, He recieved three medals and it states that he entered the theatre of war 25.4.15, in the Balkans,

Can someone please tell me where the Balkans where, And who or what would the Worcester regiment come under.

As I never knew my grandad because he died in 1935, I would like to find out as much as I can about him and what he did.

Many thanks

Patricia

Welcome to the Forum Patricia,

Your Grandad was most likely in the 11th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Worcester, September 1914, as part of K3 (that is Third New Army raised by Kitchener) in September 1914: attached to 78th Brigade, 26th Division.

The 26th Division arrived in France in September 1915 but were taken out of the line in November, took a long train ride down to Marseilles, and sailed up the Med to Salonika in Greece, then moved up country into Macedonia, a component part of the Balkans. The Balkan states (i.e what became Yugoslavia; Albania, Kosovo etc) had been at war with one another in various combinations for years, the last conflict being in 1912. Your Grandad (and mine, also in 78 Brigade with the 7th Ox & Bucks) was there to support the Serbs against (mainly) the Bulgars (Bulgaria).

I am a little mystified by your grandad entering a theatre of war on 25.4.15. It looks likely that he first served with another unit in Gallipoli, probably another battalion of the Worcesters (4th?), was wounded, and transferred to another battalion after hospitalisation.

There is a great Worcester Regiment website and Forum where you can find all info on men who served called www.worcestershireregiment.com the members there are extremley helpful

Guest overton

Many thanks to both of you for your replies.

And I must say what a wonderfull site this is.

Well done to the people who set it up.

Many thanks

Patricia