The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire

Kate Wills

Two fellow members of the Northamptonshire branch of the WFA are undertaking research into an archive of letters sent home by servicemen from Higham Ferrers to thank townsfolk for the Christmas food parcels sent out to them.

Geoff Moore and Ian Bayes are seeking information on the town's service personnel, and would especially welcome any photographs, which will be returned promptly. Additionally, if you have connections with Higham Ferrers, Geoff and Ian welcome enquiries.

They are quite happy for their contact details to be posted in open forum, and look forward to hearing from you.

Ian Bayes, 07711 636268 e-mail IBayesNOSPAM@equity.org.uk

(written that way to foil spammers - please remove the NOSPAM bit before sending mail)

Geoff Moore 01933 410766 (evenings)

or simply post in this thread.

Thanks Pals.

Hi Kate

Sorry that Im unable to help, but I would like to ask a question myself!!

Is there a Kettering branch similar to Higham Ferrars? Im researching a man from the Woolpack Inn, Kettering (Rothwell now, I think). Herbert Charles KENDALL. When KIA (actually in the 7th Beds by then), his family didnt seem to be at his home in Leighton Buzzard, so he's ended up on the Kettering memorial. I'd be extremely interested to learn anything I can about him, as he doesnt exist on Service records etc etc...

Holding my breath ...!!

Steve

Hi Steve

We have members throughout the county, though meetings are held in Northampton, so there are no HF or Kettering branches. However, I can put you in touch with a couple of members in Kettering. Could you provide me with the details you have on your man, and I'll see what can be done.

Kate

Hi Kate

Yes please!!! Thank you very much. (I typed this out earlier and have discovered it didnt make it to the thread, so sorry about the delay! Me & technology in perfect harmony ...)

My man is:

Pvt Herbert Charles KENDALL, No 4400, later 200570

Living in Lanes End, Heath & Reach, Leighton Buzzard, and enlisted in Gwyn Street Bedford in Aug 1914.

Initially 1/5th Bedfords (Gallipoli), wounded or illness took him back to Blighty (no dates), then into 7th Bedfords (France), probably in TA pre War (but unconfirmed)

KIA 23/03/1918 around Failleoul, Nr St Quentin (7th Beds).

1901 census shows:

Family lived at Woolpack Inn, Kettering (the one in Rothwell I believe, but only from 'deduction')

Father; George Thomas Clarke Kendall, Publican, employer. b Orton (nr Rothwell) 45 yrs old

Mother; Martha Arms Kendall, wife 40 yrs old

Sons (all single):

Harry Norton, shoe clicker, 18, b Kettering

Herbert Charles, stone cutter, 17, b Kettering

John Roughton, Mechanic Engineer, 15, b Kettering (mid name is Roughton)

Ernest George, Mechanic Engineer, 13, b Kettering

William Thomas, Mechanic Engineer, 1 (one), b Kettering

Plus a 'Domestic Servant'; Alice Roughton (surname is Roughton), 20, b Kettering

No known grave, service papers or family memories, no verification form returned in 1920 so no scrolls etc known about. He is on the Potiers Memorial to the Missing and Kettering town Memorial. Have Chris Bakers research and my own additions, (so have medal cards) but thats it :(

Dont know when he moved to Heath & Reach, but would have been married by 1910, (based on a photo, and his childrens ages). Ive only just started to look into his 'personal' life for clues, so dont have Birth certs etc yet. Would be interested in anything you may come across on his brothers too, as you just know Im gonna be looking at them as well!!! Good odds they were involved in the war too Id imagine, but more likely to be in the Northants Regmnt's.

Hope I havent overdone it! Thank you for your kind offer of help, even if nothing is available!

Cheers, Steve