The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Location of Trenches

Am trying find the trench map reference for the following trenches/locations which were in the region south of the Dernancourt Road, Dernancourt, and situated about 2 miles southwest of ALBERT. These were the Winkle Trench, Emma Trench, Dolly Trench, Nine Elms, Ack Street, and Energy Alley. Grateful if any one has the map sheet referance (possibly WO 297/???) for 1:20,000, 1:10,000

or if possible the 1:5.000 scale. Recently had a couple of hours at the PRO (not long enough) and got myself very confused. Very much appreciate any help although I know this is a tall order. Many thanks

Bembridge

Bembridge.

The area you describe would be in 1:10000 trench map 62DNE1, if it exists. The 1:20000 map would be 62DNE.

I can't find any reference to the existance of 62DNE1 (that's not to say it doesn't exist!), but 62DNE (the 1:20,000) definately does (through several editions 1916 (not much trench detail) -July (?) 1918) - though if what you want is on it, I couldn't say. I very much doubt that a 1:5,000 map of the area was ever produced.

Is it a 1918 map that you're after?

dave.

I don't know if this is of any use to you. It's from April 1918 (british positions in red)...

Dave.

post-1-1089502545.jpg

Dear Dave, Thank you so very much for your help. My Dad was in a daylight attack made by the 8th London (Post office Rifles) on the 25th July 1918. I have the Operational Order and the War Diary, which I got from the PRO. These docs give the names of various trenches and the map refs. I will now look at your attached map in detail. Will let you know how I get on. Intend to try and visit the PRO in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again Dave will let you know how I get on.

John

Dear Dave, Thank you so very much for your help. My Dad was in a daylight attack made by the 8th London (Post office Rifles) on the 25th July 1918. I have the Operational Order and the War Diary, which I got from the PRO. These docs give the names of various trenches and the map refs. I will now look at your attached map in detail. Will let you know how I get on. Intend to try and visit the PRO in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again Dave will let you know how I get on.

John