The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2/Lt David Gaussen

Raster Scanning

This PC was sent from Blackdown Camp on Sunday 22nd August 1915 to Mrs Gaussen, Potton End, Berkhampstead, Herts.

" I got home safely in 2 hrs, I found the Bn excited, Monday week seems almost certain for its departure. I don't think I'm going, Imagine my feelings, 10 months in a Bn and not going with it owing to the whim of an insurance agent

Yours David."

2/Lt David Gaussen did not go with the 8th Battalion Bedfordshire Rgt but was sent to the 9th Battalion and was later attached to the 1st.

He was wounded and died 6 days after his 23rd birthday in #13 Field Ambulance, on 31st July 1916.

His parents were The Rev and Mrs C E Gaussen of Potten End Vicarage, Berkhampstead.

Any further information on this man and his family would be appreciated, any ideas about the insurance agent stopping him going?

The picture shows a squad of 8th Beds men in an unidentified location, possibly Brighton.

Thanks.

John.

post-1-1089529053.jpg

I don't have a photo of Gaussen but can tell you that 2Lt David N. Gaussen was educated at Berkhamsted School and at St. John's College, Oxford University. Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks Dick.

I have now found him in the Oxford University Roll of Service.

Cheers.

John.