The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Captain C Lawton MC

munchkin

Hi All,

I have the original letter Written in pencil) sent to my Great Grandmother from Captain C Lawton after my Great Grandfather died, it reads:-

26th October 1918

Dear Mrs Tew,

You will have heard officially that your husband was killed Oct 11th but i should like to write to you a line.

It was a great shock to me on my returning the Company a few days ago, to find that so many had gone under. They were a fine lot of lads and i understand they did some invaluable work.

We shall miss them very much. But our loss can be nothing to what yours must be, and we think a great deal for you at this time, and pray that God will be with you and give you the help and strength you need.

Your husband is buried with a number of officers and men of the battallion in the Wellington Cemetery, near wgere they fought but now a long way behind the front line.

With great Sympathy

From

C Lawton Captain.

I decided to look and see if Captain Lawton survived the war. He most probably did as he is not in CWGC as died. He is also listed in the London Gazette, 10th December 1919 it reads:-

Lt. (A./Capt.) Cuthbert Lawton, 1/7th Bn., W. Rid. R. (T.F.).

During the attack at Taultain on 1st and 2nd November, 1918, by conspicuous gallantry and good leadership of his company he reached his final objective. By personal reconnaissance he maintained touch with the neighbouring units and sent back reports to battalion head quarters.

Now, is this what is deamed "Mention in Despatches", or is it something else. Also it is dated over 1 year after the war had finished?.

Would anyone know how i can look him up, to see if he stayed in the army or if he went back to civillian life. Sorry i know i am asking a lot of questions.

Glynn