The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Sussex Regiment insignia

Jim Hastings

Dear All,

I am commencing a study of the 2nd and 11th,12th,13th (South Downs) Bns of The Royal Sussex Regt. and would be interested to know what insignia they wore beyond the shoulder title ROYALSUSSEX and their cap badge. Also does anyone know if the South Downs Bns wore insignia particular to them - i.e. shoulder titles with 'SD' addded, or similar?

Many thanks in advance

Jim

Dear All,

I am commencing a study of the 2nd and 11th,12th,13th (South Downs) Bns of The Royal Sussex Regt. and would be interested to know what insignia they wore beyond the shoulder title ROYALSUSSEX and their cap badge. Also does anyone know if the South Downs Bns wore insignia particular to them - i.e. shoulder titles with 'SD' addded, or similar?

Many thanks in advance

Jim

I don't believe they wore any special insignia beyond the normal badge and titles, with the usual 'T' and number for TF battalions. The 5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion were the only ones to have unique insignia I think you will find.

and the 5th Battalion badge.

post-599-0-39692700-1310552791.jpg

post-599-0-17099500-1310552796.jpg

post-599-0-15431100-1310552861.jpg

• 3 years later...

Frogsmile---in post #2, at the lower left you show a brass shoulder title "ROYALSUSSEX".

Is that the period correct form for 1914-18, and what period was "RSUSSEX" worn ?

Trying to match what my g'father would have worn.

Regards,

JMB

R.SUSSEX was issued as a replacement in 1920, that for officers being smaller.

Regards,

FS

FS---thank you, sir !

Regards,

JMB

FS---thank you, sir !

Regards,

JMB

Glad to help JMB. In answer to your other question, which I missed, yes the full ROYALSUSSEX was the WW1 format. Like other long titles it was rather cramped.