The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cheshire Regiment numbering

Terry

I don't know much about the Territorial Force renumbering system other than having had a look on this site. I have a 14-15 star trio named to 2836 Pte.George Warren. His MIC indicates that he landed in France on 1 July,1915. It also indicates that he later received a new number - 240781.

A look at the TF site shows that after the new numbers were introduced, the 5th Bn of the Cheshire Regiment were given the 240,000-265,000 block. Is this reasonable proof that Warren was a 5th Battalion man? The 5th landed in France in February,1915, so if he was with them it was as a later reinforcement.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Terry - IMHO NO!

In the past I have researched several TF men with 6 digit numbers which appear to fall into a particular Battalion as designated by the ACI, only to look at the appropriate medal roll to find they served in a totally different Battalion.

As I always say - the meat is in the medal roll.

Ian :)

Terry

Difficult to be sure of these things, particularly as I've more info on the 1/6th than the 1/5th. However, a quick trawl through Soldiers Died shows that there are no casualties in the 1/5th in the number series 28** (or anywhere close), although there are several for the 1/6th.

Assuming he was a 1/6th, then landing in July 15 as a replacement would be consistent. Presumably he might then have transferred to the 1/5th after a period of illness/injury.

As Ian advises, the answer is in the roll. If he was a 1/6th at that time, the odds are in favour of him being local to me in the Stockport area. I'm at the local heritage library tomorrow and will see if I can find any reference in the newpaper archive (however, don't hold your breath - it normally only covers casualties and I presume he wasnt one)

John

Ian & John,

Thanks for your input. I have indeed sent off for the medal rolls. Hopefully they will clear things up.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received the medal roll entry for Warren, and he was indeed in the 5th Battalion. As he landed in France in July of 1915 he obviously was a reinforcement for the unit. The 5th Bn joined the 5th Division as the pioneer battalion in November of 1915, and in Feb.,1916 it was moved to the 56th Division.

The roll indicates that he later served with the 12th Battalion. This unit served in Salonika from November,1915 until the end of hostilities. It appears that George Warren had a busy war.