The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Edward Dwyer VC

Terry Carter

Does anyone know the movements of the 1st East Surreys when Cpl Dwyer was killed (3 Sep 1916) and the approx location where he became a casualty.

Thanks

Terry

My information has him dying on the 4th, in the action between Guillemont and Wedge wood.

There was a CD, released about five years ago, with historical recordings on it. There's a recording featuring Edward Dwyer VC. I think the CD was released by the Sound Archives. It should be easy to trace though.

Ray

Thanks Ray

I do Know of the CD "Oh Its a Lovely War" is the title. A mate of mine has it in his car and listened to Dwyer speaking whilst driving down to the Somme. Then during a walk he stopped off at Flat Iron Copse Cemetery and came across Dwyer's grave. (he did not know he was buried there) Hence the interest. In October we may now have a walk in the area of Wedge Wood where he was mortally wounded.

Cheers

Terry

I have replied to your querie regarding Philips VC

There is a recording of him singing We're Here Because We're Here... which I have heard where he won VC in the Salient and at Flat Iron Copse, I think it was recorded when he was recruiting in UK. Moving indeed.

Paul, i agree.

A truly remarkable piece of perhaps the only known recording of an O/R soldier.

Died of wounds received at Falfemont Farm, near Combles.

Regards, Chris.