The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Is it worth it?

Skipman

£100 for a copy of the Royal Artillery Commemoration Book 39-45, and £85 for "249 at War": this latter signed by veterans of the squadron.

£100 for a copy of the Royal Artillery Commemoration Book 39-45, and £85 for "249 at War": this latter signed by veterans of the squadron.

They look pretty much worth the money, John, but I'm just looking for a working copy of this book. As scarce as hen's teeth.

Mike

Is it worth it? Expensive books...............I gave up asking that question a long time ago, unfortunately my wife keeps asking.

If people pay the price then it's worth it, I suppose.

I have quite a few which cost rather more than that - but all originals, not reprints. If Naval and Military can knock them out at £20 - £30, then I'd say a working copy is well worth that. I'm vaguely hoping for a reprint of the Royal Deccan Horse history for my birthday; as the original is well north of £200 (if you can find one), I'd settle for the N&M for the time being.

I might also point out that Mrs Broomfield isn't necessarily aware of the prices of these books, so let's not shout too much, eh?

Mike

Did you try Naval and Military press?

http://www.naval-military-press.com/world-war-1-great-war-military-history-books/

What about Google books ~ a quick look and I found a few AIF titles

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=AIF

We are pretty lucky in New Zealand because all our official history's [both wars] are free online at http://www.nzetc.org/

Wendy

For facsimile versions those prices seem a bit steep. If the books were originals then you'd understand about price!

I was fortunate enough to find an original of the 14th battalion history and doubly fortunate to have come into some inheritance money. Mind you with my grandfather mentioned in the text it's really priceless.

Jonathan

PS I use the Naval & Military version as my working copy.

But wrap it round the latest Mills & Boon, and you'll terribly intellectual on the bus!

What's a bus?

What's a bus?

A device connecting various computer components. I've never seen any other kind where I live (apart from the school variety).

Answering the original OP - depends on whether it has info you can't get any other way and how desperately you want it. As some one who has lost both grandmothers long ago I can say that there are some books I might have sold both to the Bloodbladder Beast of Trall for :whistle:

Mike

A good is only worth what you are prepared to pay for it - only you can make that decision. Shopping around is likely to be the answer, it just depends on how keen you are to get the information and how quickly.

TR

Mike

A good is only worth what you are prepared to pay for it - only you can make that decision.

TR

Aye, sad but true. I keep waiting hoping to find a copy on the cheap. I'm sure this book has much information useful to me, but I resent paying over the odds for it.

Cheers Mike

But wrap it round the latest Mills & Boon, and you'll terribly intellectual on the bus!

What do you mean? I have to wrap Mills & Boon around my OH books to read on the bus. Don't want anyone thinking I'm an anorak!

Seriously though. I once saw an original copy of McGilchrist Liverpool Scottish for sale fairly reasonably in a bookshop (before it was reprinted by Naval & Military). Unfortunately I left it overnight planning to research the price and by the time I realised (was informed) how rare, sought after and fairly expensive it should have been it had been sold. (now have a N & M copy)

Caryl

If you want it, it's worth it. Whether it's a book or a cream doughnut.

Aye,but I'd rather pay £1.00 for a cream doughnut, than a tenner.

Mike

Mike

A good is only worth what you are prepared to pay for it - only you can make that decision.

TR

No you are mixing up value and price and supply and demand. Air and water are invaluable - we couldn't live without them but air is free and water is remarkably cheap (although just having paid a water bill I falter). What matters is how much you need(want) something and how much some one is prepared to supply it for (and if it's available and how much competition is out for it). If the amount it is available for is less than you are prepared to pay for it - excellent you make a gain, if otherwise you don't buy it. What you are prepared to pay is immaterial if there is a market.

• Admin

Mike, apologies for the misleading information on the dust jackets. It reminds me of a few years ago when everyone wss hyped up about a new games console - Playstaion or something - when I saw someone sell the box for it online for about £200. :blink:

For a working copy, try the inter-library loan or think about the ones Frev posted as that's about £35. If you find it is useful, then save the pennies and get a better copy to use as a reference.

I've seen a 1st edition signed by the surviving members of the batallion at a reunion but I know even the US national debt wouldn't be enough to buy it.

Glen

No problem Glen.

" I've seen a 1st edition signed by the surviving members of the batallion at a reunion but I know even the US national debt wouldn't be enough to buy it."

That would be priceless. As a matter of interest, where is it?

Mike

• Admin

As you say, it's priceless so I can only be vague about the location but it's in France. It was bought over by one of the men and given to a local person who has spent decades remembering and honouring the men who fought in their area.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess you have to wonder at the price of some volumes - though the originals never seem to go down! One can look upon them as being more more interesting that a share certificate!!

In 2008 I paid A$450 for a 1st ed copy of A.D. Ellis's "Story of the Fifth Australian Division.

Chartwell Books in New York has a signed copy of Gen Birdwood's autobiography (1942) for a mere US$ 1,000.

The most expensive I believe was the one for Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 5. I had an order for a copy canceled, so the next one that came I bought. Since then there were a few that came and went for cheaper, and now there is a scanned copy on the auction site for 8 euro.