The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt. James Henderson. NZ

bantamforgot

Thanks again to you Michael & Wendy, the links are fascinating & the "Simpson" story seems fairly straight forward , "no donkeys at the time" would seem to be incorrect in view of the photo's. As you say Michael there is some poetic licence in the various sculptures but I presume that's normal in the art world .

The "Henderson" story is dubious but whichever man he was , still a very brave man & a credit to New Zealand & the Anzacs. :poppy:

If indeed it was "Dick" Henderson the article in "The long Grave" would appear to be in error.

Regards.

Colin.

Yes definitely an error, here are the two brothers.

I finally had time to double check the cenotaph.

William John Henderson (Jack?)

http://muse.auckland...ar+i,+1914-1918

Richard Alexander Henderson

http://muse.auckland..._search=richard

post-49999-0-42842000-1313829475.jpg

Thanks for bring this subject to the boards, it's got me all keen about Gallipoli and

a chap I'm meant to be researching who was KIA on Rhododendron Spur.

Wendy

Edited by Wendy Mac...

As you say Michael there is some poetic licence in the various sculptures but I presume that's normal in the art world .

Simpson had no great respect for rules and regulations (after all he jumped ship to join up, and at Anzac pretty much acted on his own) but I think that his attitude to the hat may have been for practical reasons.

What I am thinking here is along the lines of; if you're walking with a donkey and at the same time you are supporting a wounded man on the donkey's back, then you will tend to have you arm around the man's shoulder, bringing your heads together and making the brim of a slouch hat a bit of a nuisance.

I could be wrong here as this is just a guess on my part.

Hi Wendy,

This is a small extract, hence my reason for querying which Henderson.

Regards.

Colin.

Yes.... well it's clearly Lt James HENDERSON that Kit Denton is referring to, the enlistments to the mounted rifles, the date of death and town Lt James Henderson came from all are correct.

Research back in 1969 when Kit Denton wrote Gallipoli 'One Long Grave' (Australians at war) would have been a long drawn out affair with snail mail and trips to Libraries and archives. Who knows where he got this information from to say it was Lt James Henderson that was the New Zealand donkey man.

Just out of interest I have checked the Auckland Cenotaph site and Lt James Henderson didn't have a brother called Jack (or John) serving in the war.

Wendy

Edited by Wendy Mac...

Thanks Wendy,

I think it has now been clarified , which Henderson it was, how Simpson actually died etc, thanks to you & Michael. Are you any closer to the soldier you are researching? If I may say so, the details on NZ soldiers appear to be of much greater value than those in the UK .

Regards.

Colin.