The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Official History of Medical Services, Italy

Ruth Ward

I cannot see why it is important that such terms were "official" or not if they were being used.

post-14294-0-28349400-1314468309.jpg

http://www.1914-1918...mespot1914.html

I don't think it would prove much if I found Salonika Expeditionary Force.

Kevin

Perhaps it isn't important in the general context of the war. However, Ronald Skirth claims he was handed over (from the British) to the Italian Medical/Authorities and treated by them for shell-shock and a skin complaint at Schio Hospital for Neurasthenics and Montegrotto Spa. In this context, it's quite important that I am as certain as I can be that 'Italian Expeditionary Force' refers to exactly the same thing as 'British Expeditionary Force' and 'British Forces, Italy' and not the Italian forces. (I actually think Skirth probably spotted the chart title whilst he was 'researching' his memoir and put it to good use. It might be more than just coincidence that the 'special beds' indicated in the chart for 'mental cases' and 'skin cases', happen to be the same conditions that Skirth claims to have suffered).

Ruth

Edit: Just to improve clarity of my original post - hopefully.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I have just found a wonderful quote from Hugh Dalton's 'With British Guns In Italy', which has finally put me out of my misery re British/Italian Expeditionary Force usage and thought I would share it for interest. (It applies to Christmas 1917)

'Our Staff again brought themselves into notice at Christmas by altering our official address from "B.E.F. Italy" to "Italian Expeditonary Force." I heard that the distinguished General, who introduced this reform, estimated that it would hasten victory by several months. But the stupid soldiers and their stupid relatives at home, having got into the habit of using the abbreviation "B.E.F.", shortened the new address to "I.E.F.", and the stupid postal people began to send the letters to India! And then the distinguished General had to issue another order, pointing out that "this abbreviationn is unauthorised" and that "this practice must cease." (p.105, Publisher: The Echo Library 2007) :)

Ruth

Edit: Reference added

Interesting find Ruth, it was an official address then. I thought there must have been something official for the medical services to use the term in the OH and the war diaries.

Thanks for letting us know.

Barbara

Yes, it is a good find which helps to clarify the problem. I do feel it's a bit OTT though for the writer to use 'stupid' three times, for soldiers, relatives and postal workers who merely found themselves at the mercy of Army red tape and abbreviations B)

Sue

Yes, it is a good find which helps to clarify the problem. I do feel it's a bit OTT though for the writer to use 'stupid' three times, for soldiers, relatives and postal workers who merely found themselves at the mercy of Army red tape and abbreviations B)

Sue

I thought it sounded a bit odd myself - Dalton doesn't usually write like that, so perhaps 'wonderful' wasn't the most appropriate adjective to describe his quote. Do you think, possibly, Dalton's parcels went off to India temporarily?

Ruth