The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Family Soldier Identified after 30 years.

kingsman64

Good Morning all,

Had to share my great discovery I am thrilled.

Many years ago, 30 in fact as an annoying 10 year old I was nagging my Grandfather with regard to his WW2 service. Eventually he placated me with a few bits and pieces of insignia and gave me a small photograph 3"x2" of a Royal Welsh Fusilier and an all brass cap badge of the Royal "Welsh" Fusiliers this all brass badge was the WW1 period economy issue changed in 1922 I believe to the bi-metal Royal Welch Fusiliers. His only comment was "He is a "McGann" but I do not know who he is".

30 years have passed Grandad has passed away but I have never forgotten that picture and badge kept safely in a small tin in my desk. This week the MIC's have been released for "McGann" 107 of them, not a particularly common name. Imagine my delight when I discovered only one Royal Welsh Fusilier!!! :D

Patrick McGann 7088 first theatre of war F&F 1-11-14 later served as 86118 Royal Defence Corps.

I trembled as I pulled my slim family history file out the book case and there on the 1881 census return for the family is my Great Grandfather Thomas McGann aged 1 in 1881 and his brother Patrick aged 6. This would have made him 39 in 1914 looking at his picture this seems right.

Can I ask the Forum members how comfortable would they feel with this assumption? I am assuming a service number of 7088 makes him a pre war regular? Then the transfer into the garrison battalion and ultimately the RDC in 1917 would tie in with his age etc. Can I be reasonably safe I have found my great uncle. If so somewhere out there is a 1914 Star Trio I just have to find!!!!

Regards

Paul

Paul

In all genealogy projects, you come to a point where you need to make an assumption, or leap of faith. The alternative is simply to say "That's not the case".

Based on my experiences, I'd say it was "pretty certain" that you've identified a great uncle. The onlt thing that makes me hesitate is that your grandfather said "I don't know who he is". But it was your grandfther's uncle. Was he estranged from the family, perhaps?

Regards....and well done afrter all those years !!!

SN

Paul,

I'll repeat what Stephen has said, it's not your best guess - but you sort of get a gut feeling.

Anyway, congratulations on your discovery..............and good luck on finding your medals. I've got atleast 4 lots in my family and I haven't a clue where to start looking!

Hi Guys

yes the more I think about it the more certain I am.

Grandads comment he is a "McGann" but I do not know which one refered to the fact that there was 5 brothers some of whom died while Grandad was an infant so it was the passage of time more than anything else which had blurred the memory.

Maybe one of our Royal Welsh Fusilier Experts could comment?

I believe McGann is such a scarce name I should be 99% confident.

Thanks again.

Paul:

You've gotton my research interest going!

Where was Patrick origonally from?

I found a soldier (Patrick McGann) on the 1891 census(age:3 years older)-

trying to see if he's your relly!

gordon

Gordon

Patrick was born in Liverpool of Irish parents James and Catherine McGann on the 1881 census he is shown as six years old, so born 1875. The address is 16 Albion Terrace West Derby Lancashire (merseyside not yet in existence).

I have managed to confirm 100% this is the right family unit as my Great Grandfather is shown as 1 Year old Thomas McGann. Born in 1880 he died on Christmas Day 1960 aged 80. There is only one Thomas McGann of the right age in Lancashire on the 1881 Census so we know we are safe with this entry.

Interested to know who, where you are looking all the same!

Regards

Paul.

Paul,

Do not hesitate and you do not need further confirmation, if it feels right first time then it is.

Well done. Hope the trio turn up for you. That would be the icing on the cake!!!

Mandy

Paul:

Found this while searching the 1891 census-might be yours!

Name Age in 1891 Birthplace Relationship to head-of-house Civil parish County View

Census? Save This?

Mcgann, Patrick 15 Liverpool, Lancashire Everton Lancashire

The 1891 census for this was at a St.Georges Certified Industrial School

for Boys-West Derby.

gordon

Paul

With my "Statto" hat on, I checked with Office of National Statistics and the 2001 census showed 1289 adult McGanns in England & Wales, making it the 5383rd most common surname.

Further checking of the 2003 Electoral Roll shows 39 McGanns in Liverpool and a further 21 recorded as Merseyside.

SN

With my "Statto" hat on, I checked with Office of National Statistics and the 2001 census showed 1289 adult McGanns in England & Wales, making it the 5383rd most common surname.

Stephen,

Have you link to that information???

I have just had a quick browse of the national stats site and can't find that info'

Steve

Sorry, it's not web based information but stuff that I got for some work I was doing. I'm happy to provide a copy of the file if you let me have your email address off-forum.

For the second part of the data (numbers of families by area), I simply used 192.com

Happy to help or advise further if you like.

SN