The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Seaforth Highlanders from le Cateau to the Somme

Heather Jack

Has anyone ever come across a publication with the title 'The Searforth Highlanders from le Cateau to the Somme'?, author Major D W P Strang of the Seaforth Highlanders, who served with distinction at the Battle of Loos?

I have tried enquiring at several of the military archives, but none have a copy. I would be very interested to track one down.

Legion of Honour

Hi. I can't say I have ever heard of it, and can't find it online. Might be worth contacting the Highlanders Regimental Museum ?

Cheers Mike

Is this the DWP Strang who served as a Captain in the 8th(Service) Battalion and won the MC I wonder - it would seem to be a big coincidence otherwise.

Chris

Hi Chris. You're probably right, but I can't get the link to work?

Mike

Sorry - technical incompetence my end!

I was trying to link to the National Archives Record

Description Medal card of Strang, D W P

Corps Regiment No Rank

Seaforth Highlanders Captain

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/24

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Mentions in Despatches, Meritorious Service Medals and Territorial Force Efficiency Medals

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Is this the DWP Strang who served as a Captain in the 8th(Service) Battalion and won the MC I wonder - it would seem to be a big coincidence otherwise.

Chris

Yes. Duncan Strang was my father.

Legion of Honour

Hi. I can't say I have ever heard of it, and can't find it online. Might be worth contacting the Highlanders Regimental Museum ?

Cheers Mike

I tried the Highlanders Museum (if that is the archive located at Fort George) some years ago, but they did not have it.

Legion of Honour

Yes. Duncan Strang was my father.

Legion of Honour

I tried the Highlanders Museum (if that is the archive located at Fort George) some years ago, but they did not have it.

Legion of Honour

I googled D W P Strang and came up with a churchman who was involved with the Boys Brigade, I think, just after the war. D W P Strang was also recorded as becoming a Temp major in the Labour Battalions during 1917. The museum had 83 hits on publications for the Seaforth Highlanders, but the one you wanted was not among them

Martin

I googled D W P Strang and came up with a churchman who was involved with the Boys Brigade, I think, just after the war. D W P Strang was also recorded as becoming a Temp major in the Labour Battalions during 1917. The museum had 83 hits on publications for the Seaforth Highlanders, but the one you wanted was not among them

Martin

This is correct - all one and the same person. Rev. D W P Strang served in a number of U.F, and C of S congregations from 1920 to 1953.

I think the publication I am after must have been a very small, limited circulation, booklet, aimed principally at people who served in the Seaforths, and not issued to official libraries.

Legion of Honour

• 4 years later...

I came across this which was written by Strang for 1914 if you haven't already found it here

Interesting, thanks for the link,

Derek.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, thanks for the link,

Derek.

Hi Derek,

Can you please tell me how you downloaded this as I don't seem to be able to read it without clicking on a page at a time and as the pages are quite narrow, blowing it up makes it hard to read unlike stuff downloaded from Archive.org. which flows from page to page like a book. I'm afraid i am somewhat challenged in that dept.!!

Thanks

Hazel C

I came across this which was written by Strang for 1914 if you haven't already found it here

Thanks for the link Charlie. My grandfather was with the 1st and 8th Seaforth.

Hazel C.

Hi Hazel,

I used the Download button for each page and put them in a folder together to click through as files, nothing else for it i'm afraid.

You could use a bit of software to make a pdf from the images once you've downloaded them all?

Cheers,

Derek.

Hi Hazel,

I used the Download button for each page and put them in a folder together to click through as files, nothing else for it i'm afraid.

You could use a bit of software to make a pdf from the images once you've downloaded them all?

Cheers,

Derek.

Thanks Derek.

I wondered if there was any way round that! Hadn't thought of putting them together in a folder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hazel