The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

the Mademoiselle from Armentieres monument

laurent59

Even if there was any artistic merit to this then why choose what seems to be Plaster of Paris for its construction knowing that this will totally clash with the intended surroundings. Norman

To be fair, Naorman, the intended site seems to have been a roundabout. It was only the work of the local art lovers that had it moved to the cemetery.

I agree with Steven, but what has it got to do with anyone on this forum in any event.? Artistic merit is a matter of individual perception; at least those involved in the project have a sense of history and, for me at least, are be congratulated on the project. They have been prepared to get up off their backsides and do something rather than just whine from their keyboards.

TR

Thank you Terry,

I'm completely agree with you, and if I don't like the style of the monument, I respect all what is doing for to keep alive the memory and not forget the history.

Laurent

• 3 weeks later...

Laurent,

If you type "Three German Officers crossed the Line" into your Internet search engine e.g. Google you should find it listed amongst WW1 Soldiers songs.

But be warned it will "broaden" your English vocabulary. :D

George

hello George, and thank you for your advice. I did found on internet the song "three German Officers crossed the line", and it's true, I have greatly expanded my vocabulary,

(even if I had learned some bad words with my English friends when I was in French Foreign Legion in the 1980's).

kind regards

Laurent

Salut Laurent,

merci pour toutes les infos sur "Mademoiselle from Armentières", je ne savais même pas qu'elle avait réellement existée !

I drive to Armentieres often so next time I will stop to have a look, does the "café de la Paix" still exist , or was it on the Grand' place ?

Sly

:)

Hello Sly,

thank you for to have written in French.

Yes, the place of "Café de la Paix" still exist, but now it's an hotel called "les Arcades" located 7 rue de la gare. This street is just face's the train station.

regards

Laurent

Merci Laurent,

je connais cet hôtel ... et je suis passé devant aujourd'hui !

thank you for my french... but I am french ! :)

On se connait je crois, tu travailles pour la Télé non ?

Sly