The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Irish Constabulary

Martin B

Has anyone done any research on fatal casualties who were serving officers in the Royal Irish Constabulary prior to the outbreak of hostilities ?

I'm looking for information in particular on men buried or commemorated in the Ypres area, but any names or details would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help ...

Martin - I have a number of men who were PCs with the Royal Irish Constabulary .. do you mean police officers or of rank ... i.e. inspector and above?

Martin,

I came across a piece of information which might be of interest. I have heard that RIC men were automatically in the Irish Guards Reserve. There may have been a significant number of RIC men in that Regiment. I'm not 100% sure of the information, but it came from a good source!

Regards,

Liam.

I have information on a number of Captains who served with the 10th (Irish) Division who had been District Inspectors with the RIC pre-war. One returned to the RIC after the war and it is noted on his file at the PRO that he became the Chief Constable RIC. Have yet to come across any RIC officers below the rank of DI in my research.

Trooper

Sorry for lateness - thanks to Trooper's post for reminding me!

CONSTABLE Edward Spratt of the RIC has obtained permission from the authorities to enlist in the Royal Garrison Artillery. He was popular with the Cullybackey residents and carries with him the best wishes of all for success in his new sphere of labour.

Ballymena Observer, March 3, 1916

Private Robert J. Masterson, Irish Guards is at Wharncliffe War Hospital suffering from a gunshot wound to the arm. Prior to entering the army he was assistant teacher in Ballymena Boys National School. His brother, Patrick J. , who was fomerly in the Royal Irish Constabulary is also serving with the Guards while a third brothers is a member of the RIC stationed at Toomebridge.

They are sons of ex-Head Constable P. Masterson, formerly of Ballymena.

Ballymena Observer, August 18, 1916

Mastersons will tie in nicely with an earlier post re-Irish Guards

des

Jim Herlihy's Short History of the RIC ,Foour Curts Dublin 1997 Appendices pp154 onwards. Total volunteers 752. Details of service date ofdeath etc are all included.

Regards

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin B,

My Grand Uncle was in the RIC prior to enlisting in the Royal Irish Regt, He was serving as a Sgt when he was killed on the Somme on 12/10/16. His Name was William Glennon. I think he was a Sgt in the RIC prior to his joining up. He transfered fromt eh Royal Irish to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. My Great grandfather was a high ranking RIC officer also but retired after a couple of assasination attempst. I still have a number of his items, such as my Gand uncles wrist watch which was returned to the famility after the war, which is inscribed to him fromt he RIC depot in Kilkenny. I alos have a couple of letters from him to his father mentioning he had met Tom Kettle, who was a friend of my Great Grandfather.

I will find out more details and post later for you.

Regards

Ross Glennon