The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Chickens - Channel 4

MickLeeds

Patrick Kealty, amongst others, during and after the troubles has consistently taken the piss out of both sides, I recall in those halcyon days when we had a tv seeing his routine in Belfast, shocked silence for a few seconds then belly laughs

Kielty's Father was assassinated by Loyalists. As with Jews telling jokes about anti-semitism it is a matter of context!

I haven't seen anything on this show bar one advert in a magazine. That being said, I do not really hold high hopes for it - it is made by Sky and has connections to the Inbetweeners, neither of which gives me any confidence in it! I may give it a chance though.

I think it is an interesting point to ask whether or not it is insensitive. Personally, I love Blackadder Goes Forth and the numerous sketches in Monty Python that are based in World War 1. I think the key aspect here (and the same applies to Allo Allo) is that they deal with the human aspect of a few characters, and how they deal with the situation they are thrust into by the conflict (barring some of the sillier sketches in Python of course) rather than the conflict itself. I also think that is may be peculiarly British, in that we have an odd tendency to find humour and good spirits in tough situations, at least according to the legend of the 'stiff upper lip' and it may be playing up to this stereotype that influences shows like this.

This puts me in mind of a module I studied at University this past year, about the study of history itself. We were told to read The History Boys and answer several questions. One of which was to do with the Holocaust discussion scene - it is ok to discuss/trivialise a matter such as this? If so, when? After how long? Nobody could come up with a satisfactory answer, pointing to the subjective nature of the matter. I don't suppose we shall ever have an answer we can all agree on!

I haven't seen anything on this show bar one advert in a magazine. That being said, I do not really hold high hopes for it - it is made by Sky and has connections to the Inbetweeners, neither of which gives me any confidence in it! I may give it a chance though.

I think it is an interesting point to ask whether or not it is insensitive. Personally, I love Blackadder Goes Forth and the numerous sketches in Monty Python that are based in World War 1. I think the key aspect here (and the same applies to Allo Allo) is that they deal with the human aspect of a few characters, and how they deal with the situation they are thrust into by the conflict (barring some of the sillier sketches in Python of course) rather than the conflict itself. I also think that is may be peculiarly British, in that we have an odd tendency to find humour and good spirits in tough situations, at least according to the legend of the 'stiff upper lip' and it may be playing up to this stereotype that influences shows like this.

This puts me in mind of a module I studied at University this past year, about the study of history itself. We were told to read The History Boys and answer several questions. One of which was to do with the Holocaust discussion scene - it is ok to discuss/trivialise a matter such as this? If so, when? After how long? Nobody could come up with a satisfactory answer, pointing to the subjective nature of the matter. I don't suppose we shall ever have an answer we can all agree on!

I hear Chickens is Sky1 so problem solved for me - I cannot get it! As for Shoah yes there was a play "Bent" about gays at Auschwitz. There is no black and white answer to many questions but as with swinging off Cenotaph flag I file this under "Bad Thing".

Yesterday's Guardian was full of praise for it.

We started ro watch it, but then the storms started and Sky went off!

We shall have to carch the reruns.

Tottygraph didn't like it, Grauniad did.

Hmmmmm ...

Forgot all about it, i will give it a go its bound to be repeated.

Today's Sunday Tottygraph basically thinks it's "The Inbetweeners" in different clothes. As I never saw that I have no term of reference. Yesterday's Times gave it a more favourable comment, but as the ownership of that organ and Sky are one and the same, I wonder if it's company policy to be rude!

Today's Sunday Tottygraph basically thinks it's "The Inbetweeners" in different clothes.

Yes, that's what the Guardian said. And that's no bad thing in my mind.

I like it. And agree with Gareth, it's no bad thing in my mind. Not offensive to anyone - soldiers are the heroes, women support the soldiers, only people it could be deemed offensive to are conscientious objectors?

Norman you didn't miss anything,my son recorded it,I watched it this morning, load of tripe.

Terry

One critic described 'Chickens' as a Turkey but I watched it with an open mind.

Not my cup of tea as it was rather silly and overacted, which may be a bit rich coming from a fan of 'Benidorm'!

Maxi

Not my cup of tea as it was rather silly and overacted, which may be a bit rich coming from a fan of 'Benidorm'!

Maxi

You're in good company here :thumbsup:

Do people watch Benidorm?

Do people watch Benidorm?

Well obviously two of us do.

Seen it..rubbish..enough said!

totally agree - as un-funny as i think you could get

I don't think this tv series is for the let's say the older generation of people.

Edited by dannyboy1807

I don't think this tv series is for the let's say the older generation of people.

You're OK. no offence taken. :thumbsup:

You're OK. no offence taken. :thumbsup:

Speak for yourself. I, personally am highly offended, cheeky young pup! :whistle:

dannyboy1807 - I know where Purley is! Me and my possie from the pensioners club will be round to see you. :devilgrin: that's once we can fix the wheel back on Fred's zimmer and we've all finished out tea n biscuits and visited the gents.