The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Chickens - Channel 4

MickLeeds

Speak for yourself. I, personally am highly offended, cheeky young pup! :whistle:

dannyboy1807 - I know where Purley is! Me and my possie from the pensioners club will be round to see you. :devilgrin: that's once we can fix the wheel back on Fred's zimmer and we've all finished out tea n biscuits and visited the gents.

excellent that gives me about 4/5 hours head start :)

You're OK, Danny Boy. Thursday is pensioners; day down the chippy. By then they'll have forgotten what was going on anyway.

watched it tonight - some funny bits (I liked the way the milk was delivered) but on the whole not very good I thought

Kielty's Father was assassinated by Loyalists. As with Jews telling jokes about anti-semitism it is a matter of context!

So whether or not something is offensive or in bad taste depends on the personal history of the whoever is telling the gag???

I have fairly catholic tastes when it comes to comedy, but a joke about, say, serious child abuse doesn't get funnier if told by the Jimmy Saville Victim Support Group.

Lenny Henry's toe-curlingly embarrassing "Katanga" catchphrase was no less appalling coming from him as it would have been coming from Bernard Manning in blackface.

The idea of certain groups having a self-issued free pass or exclusive rights on whether or not something is acceptable or unacceptable, bothers me.

To be fair, Martin, Lenny Henry (as a "comedian") is just toe-curlingly embarrassing. Full stop.

Fair point.

I met him many years ago and he was a genuinely witty and likeable chap.

Then again, he's made a packet out of being not very funny onstage, so what do I know?

OK, so I finally watched the first episode.

I loved The Inbetweeners. The Inbetweeners could do no wrong as far as I was concerned, even their film was good.

I watched 'Chickens' with a completely open mind but I couldn't get away from the fact that the two main characters were playing exactly the same roles they had in The Inbetweeners and it just did not sit right, it made everything very unfunny for me.

I do wonder if other actors had played those roles whether I'd have found it amusing. As it was I felt it was a disaster, which is a shame as I could do with a good comedy it's rubbish on telly ATM.

Say what you like about Lenny Henry he does a nice ad for hotels!

Indeed, Mrs H. and I refer to staying at a certain budget hotel chain as 'doing a Lenny Henry'. To be fair to Dudley's finest, he has latterly reinvented himself as a stage actor of some note.