The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Our Fromelles book

Fedelmar

For those of you that may not know and to the others that have been sworn to secrecy this is to let you know that my research partner, Tim Lycett has finally finished writing our book ... thanks Sherlock. Today it will head off to the publishers for final approval. Title is ‘Lost Lives – Reclaiming the Diggers of Fromelles’.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

I will look forward to securing a copy. For several reasons Fromelles July 19th - 20th 1916 holds great interest for me. I was recently given as a gift from a battlefield visitor Patrick Lindsay's FROMELLES and it is a truly excellent book!!

I do however worry a little especially when I visit Fromelles today. The story of the massive British input of 1915 simply doesnt exist anymore according to local people and likewise the British 61st Div have also mostly been airbrushed away. I notice the local school is named after the AIF 5th Div only and the one and only bar is now an Aussie shrine! What happened?

Anyway, if Tim,s book is likewise then I look forard to it with relish.

Best of luck with the book release!

Chris

Thanks for the good wishes.

I still have a few jobs to do but they are mostly done. I am hoping the publisher will like the cover that Andrew P and I have put together although not without help from across the pond.

I have to admit to getting excited now ... and pleased I don't have to nag any more!

Bright Blessings

Sandra

• Admin

Sandra

Congratulations on getting it all but finished. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

and pleased I don't have to nag any more!

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Not as much as the "nagees" I'll bet! :D:ph34r:

Glen

Thanks peoples :)

I think you might be right there Glen ... got told I was worse than the wife!!!

Bright Blessings

Sandra

How exciting Sandra. Can't wait to read it. Best of luck with the publisher.

Jonathan

Thanks from us both Jonathan :)

Thank you :)

I will look forward to securing a copy. For several reasons Fromelles July 19th - 20th 1916 holds great interest for me. I was recently given as a gift from a battlefield visitor Patrick Lindsay's FROMELLES and it is a truly excellent book!!

I do however worry a little especially when I visit Fromelles today. The story of the massive British input of 1915 simply doesnt exist anymore according to local people and likewise the British 61st Div have also mostly been airbrushed away. I notice the local school is named after the AIF 5th Div only and the one and only bar is now an Aussie shrine! What happened?

Chris

Hi Chris

I would hope that the new museum at Fromelles won't just focus on the July 19th 1916 assault but will also acknowledge other periods of the war in that area but that's probably all unknown at the moment. I guess it depends on who's doing the planning for it all.

Regards

Andrew

Congratulations!

I will be awaiting the release and hope I can obtain an autographed copy.

Regards

Pop

(Sean McManus)

• 4 months later...

Any news on the book and if I can get hold of a copy here in belgium?

regards

Sabine

Congratulations!

I will be awaiting the release and hope I can obtain an autographed copy.

Regards

Pop

(Sean McManus)

Any update on progress ?

Autographed copy ?

Chris

Hi Chris,

1915 Battle of Aubers Ridge and the 61st Division (1916) always get a mention when I am at Fromelles. The story is not complete if they are not mentioned. Plus, I have someone who has just booked with me who said that one of their British kin was killed in late 1914 close by the the Kennedy Private Memorial, so it seems I am about to learn some more.

Best regards, Peter

I agree with you and I wish you an enjoyable and respectful tour. Without doubt, battlefield visits are always much more poignient when direct relatives are in attendance.

Best of luck Peter! :thumbsup:

Chris

Tim has spoken with the publisher and they have said they are extremely happy with the writing Tim has done. A few things to be reworded and to have a yarn with me and that's it. Haven't heard anything further.

Will rattle Sherlock's cage :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Thanks everyone! At this rate we might be in for a second printing :lol:

There's a few edits to be completed and a small amount of rewriting but all-in-all things are looking really good. The publisher (Penguin Books Australia) assured me that everything is on track and have suggested a release in November this year to coincide with Remembrance Day.

Depending on the time it takes to get to publication, if we can finalise the manuscript and other details early enough, I was thinking of suggesting to them that a July release might be worthwhile to coincide with the anniversary of the battle.

Either way, it'll be out sometime this year!!

Cheers,

Tim L.

Hi Tim,

Looking forward to it.

BTW, in a discussion with Peter Barton some months ago, he is also working on his own book on Fromelles.

So, a fascinating time ahead for all.

Best regards, Peter

• 1 month later...

The 61st Division is not entirely expunged from the area. There is a fine memorial plaque on the side wall of the Levantie town hall.

Visited it last week but it was hidden under scafolding and so had to satisfy myself with a visit to many of the 61st Div fallen in nearby cemeteries.

They are there and they do exist, you just have to back away a tad from the AIF classic locations.