The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Unusual Unit?

Petroc

I have a series of brass buttons, and one straight shoulder title, but am unable to identify to which British or Commonwealth unit they belong. The buttons are surmounted by the King's crown, and feature two crossed penanted lances, with the italicised initials 'MGBG' beneath; These letters also form the shoulder title. Someone once suggested that they were unofficial or privately-manufactured for members of the Guards Machine Gun Regiment ('Machine Gun Battalion, Guards' or 'Machine Gun, Brigade of Guards'?), but I'm not too sure, as I feel members of those illustrious regiments would have been less than inclined to part with the insignia of their parent units; any ideas?

They sound like Indian or other Commonwealth/Empire Lancers Buttons pre 1947,have they a Manufacturers name etc;on the Reverse that might give a clue as to their origins?

can you post a picture of it?

Madras Governors Body Guard

If this is a real one it is very rare

Formed in 1778. They served as a remount centre in the Great War, sometimes they were called on to support the police. Some of their sowars were patrolling the Madras beaches when the SMS Emden bombarded the area - under German fire in India, possibly unique.

The Bombay and Madras bodyguards were absorbed into the main Body Guard Regiment at Independence

Thanks for the info tintin, and thanks to you other guys for your input; sorry i can't post a picture of the gear, but the pc i use is rather basic (just one step up from Babbage's prototype!)